Bestellen Sie Ihre Fahnen / Flaggen im Flaggen-Shop bei fahnenversand.de
Diese Website beschäftigt sich mit der Wissenschaft der Vexillologie (Flaggenkunde).
Alle auf dieser Website dargebotenen Abbildungen dienen ausschließlich der Informationsvermittlung im Sinne der Flaggenkunde.
Der Hoster dieser Seite distanziert sich ausdrücklich von jedweden hierauf u.U. dargestellten Symbolen verfassungsfeindlicher Organisationen.
This is a mirror of a page that is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website.
Anything above the previous line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.
Dictionary of Vexillology: T (Triangle - Triarched Triangular Shield)
Last modified: 2023-11-11 by rob raeside
Keywords: vexillological terms |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
On this page:
- 1) A horizontal charge whose apex lies along the meridian, and which may
extend up to or slightly exceeding one-half the length of a flag, but whose
base generally (but not exclusively) occupies the full width of the hoist – a
simple or hoist-triangle (see
also ‘chevron 1)’ and ‘meridian’)
2) A charge whose base is parallel to the lower edge of a flag - an ‘upright
triangle’ or a cone (see also ‘voided triangle’).
National flag of Djibouti (fotw);
Air Force Ensign of Jordan (fotw);
Flag of Cercs, Spain (fotw)
a) With regard to 1) when the base is on the
fly it may be called a reversed or fly-triangle
Regarding 2) an upright triangle whose base faces the top of a flag is
c) A triangle whose apex
and base touch opposite edges of the flag, whilst often named a triangle
throughout, should be considered a pile (see ‘pile
- TRIANGLE AT THE HOIST
- See ‘triangle 1)’ (above).
National Flag of Zimbabwe (fotw)
- TRIANGLE THROUGHOUT
- See ‘pile 1)’ and note c) in triangle
(above) (also ‘throughout’).
Presidential Flag of Namibia (fotw)
- TRIANGLE VOIDED
- See ‘voided triangle’.
Flag of Villa Saralegui, Argentina (fotw)
- TRIANGULAR (or TRIANGLE) BORDER
- See ‘wolfteeth 1)’.
Presidential Standard of Hungary (fotw)
- A term used to describe the bottom edge of a gonfalon (or possibly the fly of a flag) when it is in the form of a straight-sided triangle (see also ‘gonfalon
1)’ and ‘triangular-ended tails’
Gonfalons of Bilje,
Bošnjaci and Marina, Croatia (fotw)
- TRIANGULAR-ENDED (or TRIANGULARLY ENDING) TAILS (or TONGUES)
- The alternative terms used to describe the bottom edge of a gonfalon (or possibly the fly of a flag) that is cut into two or more straight-sided tails or tongues with triangular
ends (see also ‘gonfalon 1)’, ‘square-tailed’, ‘tails’,
‘tongue(s)’ and and ‘triangular-ended’
Gonfalons of Lobor,
Andrijaševci and Barban, Croatia (fotw)
- TRIANGULAR HEART-SHAPED SHIELD
- The term used in some systems of (European) continental heraldry to
describe a shield of the gothic type - see ‘gothic shield’ and its following note (also ‘triarched triangular shield’).
Arms and Flag of Rakovica, Croatia (fotw)
- TRIANGULAR PANEL
- 1) The term that may be used to describe a right-angle triangle that
usually occupies the full width of a flag, but which has two sides running
parallel to and/or along the edges of that flag.
2) The term may also be used to describe those panels that appear and the
hoist and at the fly of a diagonal tricolour, of a diagonally divided
bi-colour, or of a flag having an ascending or descending diagonal – that is a
bend or bend sinister - see ‘bend’ and ‘bend
3) See ‘cantonal triangle’.
National Flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina (fotw); Flag of
Sarajevo – Centar, Bosnia and Herzegovina (fotw); Flag of
Castanhal, Pará Brazil (fotw)
Please note that this term has been introduced by the Editors as no
suitable established alternative could be found.
- TRIANGULAR SWALLOWTAIL
- See ‘tapered swallowtail’.
Triangular Swallowtail/Commodore’s Broad Pennant 1972 - 1994, RSA (fotw)
- TRIANGULAR-TONGUED (or TAILED)
- Alternative terms for that variation of a triple tailed flag whose tongues or tails take
the form of three matching triangles –
see ‘triple-tailed 1)’ (also
‘swallowtail and tongue’,
and ‘triangular-ended tails’.
Unit Colour 67th Military Police Battalion, Croatia
(Željko Heimer); Flag of Euclid, U.S.(fotw)
Please note that these terms have been introduced by the Editors as no
suitable established examples could be found.
- TRIARCHED TRIANGULAR SHIELD
- The term used in some systems of continental heraldry to describe a shield
the edges of which are formed by three (usually regular) convex arcs (see also
‘French shield’, ‘Gothic shield’
with its following note, ‘Italian shield’,
and ‘triangular heart-shaped shield’).
Arms and flag of Tešanj, Bosnia and Herzegovina (fotw)
Introduction | Table of Contents
| Index of Terms | Previous Page | Next Page
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.
Bei fahnenversand.de erhalten Sie eine Vielzahl an günstigen Flaggen, Pins und Aufnähern, zum Beispiel: