Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 13 September 2014
Institución Educativa Santa Maria was established in the Santa Maria borough,
part of the municipality of Cartagena de Indias (Bolivar Department) by the
Sisters of the Good Shepherd, a congregation founded in 1835 by the French nun
St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier (1796-1868, canonized on 2 May 1940 by Pope Pius
XII). The congregation settled in Cartagena on 21 July 1951, with the support of
Archbishop López Umaña. One of he aims of the nuns was to provide education to
children of jailed parents. It took them 10 years to establish a first school,
Escuela Ana María Vélez de Trujillo, founded on 8 February 1961 and inaugurated
in 1962 with some 150 students. Soon transferred to new grounds, the institute
was renamed in 1964 Escuela Hogar del Buen Pastor. After the official
inauguration of the new buildings on 22 February 1965, the institute was renamed
Instituto Santa María. Decree No. 224 of 1 March 1968 renamed it Escuela Santa
María. Transferred back in 1987 to its original grounds, the institute was
renamed in 1995 Concentración Educativa Santa María.
Institución Educativa Santa Maria was eventually established by Municipal Resolution No. 776 of 10 May 2002, incorporating Escuela Nuestra Señora de Fátima, Escuela Marco Fidel Suárez, and Escuela Sagrado Corazón de Jesús.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided celestial blue-white. The upper stripe symbolizes the sky and the water that border our Caribbean territory. The lower stripe symbolizes our aspiration to conquer and transform our environment to live together in a world of peace and love.
Ivan Sache, 13 September 2014
image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 11 April 2015
Institución Educativa Santa María Goretti originates in a school established
on 15 October 1933 in Mocoa (Putumayo Department) by Mother Mónica Wirth and
Sisters María Pilar Revelo, María Cornelia Greissing, María Luciana Báchtiger
and Lina Erazo. Colegio Femenino de Bachillerato Santa María Goretti was
established by Resolution No. 21 of 30 September 1967.
The institute is named for St. Maria Goretti (1890-1902; canonized on 24 June 1950 by Pope Pius XII).)
The flag of the institute is vertically divided green-white-red.
Source: http://www.goretti.edu.co/web/index.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 13 September 2014
Looks rather Italian, doesn't it? I keep wondering why these schools have
flags that are either match flags of other schools or national flags of other
I thought to shrink the white slightly, equal stripes, standard green, smaller palette.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 11 April 2015
image by Ivan Sache, 29 June 2014
Colegio Santa María Mazzarello was established in Canaguaro (Meta Department)
by the Salesian Sisters. The institute is named for St. Maria Domenica
Mazzarello (1837-1881; canonized on 24 June 1951), the founder of the Salesian
Sisters, aka Daughters of Mary Help of Christians.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-pink. Blue and pink are the colours of the cloak and of the tunic of Mary Help of Christians. Blue is a symbol of transcendence. Pink is the mixture of red and white. Red is a symbol of force and sacrifice, reason and love. White is a symbol of rectitude, transparency and strength. Accordingly, pink is a symbol of the tenderness and kindness of the institute's patron saint.
Ivan Sache, 29 June 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
"Colegio Santa Mariana de Jesús", located in Portería (Bogotá Capital
District), is managed by the Sisters of Mariana de Jesús, a congregation founded
on 14 April 1873 by the Ecuadorian nun Blessed Mercedes de Jesús Molina
The flag of the institute is shown graphically and described on the institute's website as horizontally divided "white-sweet red", that is pink.
Pink must be the color of the Sisters of Mariana de Jesús. During the beatification ceremony held on 1 February 1985 in Guayaquil, Pope John Paul II called Mercedes de Jesús Molina "the Rose of Baba [her birth place] and Guayaquil". She is locally known as "la Rosa del Guayas".
Ivan Sache, 07 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 17 June 2018
Colegio Bilingüe Santa Marta (CBSM) was established on 3 March 1983 by
Corporacion Educative Bilingüe de Santa Marta in San Francisco urbanization,
Santa Marta (Magdalena).
The flag of CBSM is described in Article 6 of the Manual de Convivencia, as follows:
The flag of C.B.S.M. is bicolor, composed of the white color in the upper part, which means the immensity of the sky, and of the king blue color in the lower part, which represents the immensity of the Caribbean Sea that water our coasts. The flag is charged in the center with the coat of arms of C.B.S.M.
The coat of arms of CBSM is described in Article 5 of the Manual de Convivencia, as follows:
The coat of arms of C.B.S.M. is made of a circle, which represents the globalized world towards which we orientate our students, charged with the name of he school. In the center of the circle are the letters "SM", which recall the name of the institute, Santa Marta; the words "Ser, Saber, Amar y Servir" (To Be, To Know, To Love, and To Serve) are inscribed on a scroll, which are the base of the integral education offered to the students. This concept is emphasized by two laurel branches that symbolize triumph, nobleness and loyalty to our institutional principles. Beneath the graphic emblem is placed "1983", the year of foundation of the institute.
Source: Manual de Convivencia
Ivan Sache, 17 June 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 12 January 2019
The flag of Instituto Técnico de Santander de Quilichao (Cauca Department) is
horizontally divided white-green. The white stripe symbolizes peace, purity,
kindness and the faithful reflect of pure minds, and the noble and joyous hearts
of the youth eager to learn. The green stripe reflects the immensity of the
green fields of the valley of Cauca and aspiration to a world and a life full of
satisfaction, dreams and illusions.
http://www.instecnico.edu.co/simbolos.html, School website
Ivan Sache, 12 January 2019
image by Eugene Ipavec, 22 February 2007
The Industrial University of Santander is located in
Bucaramanga. The flag is apparently available on the home page of
Ron Lahav, 22 February 2007
Simple white/green bicolor; the shade of green is
specified as PANTONE 368c, CMYK 50:0:95:0, RGB 103:185: 62.
Eugene Ipavec, 22 February 2007
web site, we learn the meaning of the green colour. Green is
a bright colour symbolizing hope and a chromatic sign evoking the
opening of man towards all possible constructions, utopia, the
best for society, all implicit elements in the educative task.
Ivan Sache, 30 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 1 January 2021
Gimnasio Santa Rocio was established in 1983 by Elisa Niño de
Chicacausa in Villa del Río borough (Bogotá).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-blue. White represents purity and liberty. Blue represents hope, adequacy and responsibility.
Ivan Sache, 26 November 2014
The flag is charged in the center with the school's emblem.
Ivan Sache, 1 January 2021
image by Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
"Universidad Santa Rosa de Cabal" (UNISARC) is the
Colombian agronomic university. The "El Jazmin" campus
has a crop farms, a cattle farm, a fish breeding station and a
The flag of UNISARC is shown graphically and described in the UNISARC website.
The flag is horizontally divided yellow-green with a simplified version of the UNISARC emblem in the middle.
The colours symbolize the balance between knowledge (represented by yellow) and the natural environment (represented by green).
The hexagonal emblem stands for the six (economic, social, technological, cultural, environmental and political) issues addressed by UNISARC.
The bird, a goose displayed with spread wings, represents progress. On the emblem, but not on the flag, red fruits placed above the head and under the wings of the goose represent productivity.
Ivan Sache, 17 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 07 December 2014
Institución Técnica Agroambiental Santa Rosa de Lima is located in Cicuco
The institute is named for St. Rose of Lima (1642-1693, canonized on 12 April 1671 by Pope Clement X), the primary patroness of Peru and of the natives of South America.
The flag of the institute is described in the institute's Etiquette Guidebook as quartered green-blue per saltire. In the middle is placed a white disk inscribing a green tree. Blue is a symbol of the water resources of the area. Green is a symbol of the natural environment and of vegetation, and of aspiration to a better future. White is a symbol of peace. The tree is a symbol of the natural resources that have to be preserved for the welfare of the whole community.
Ivan Sache, 07 December 2014