Last modified: 2013-03-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | santo anastácio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
28 February 2013
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_Anast%E1cio_(S%E3o_Paulo)
Thirteen green and white horizontal stripes with the municipal arms on a white canton six stripes deep.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 31 January 2013
Santo Anastácio was established as, Vai e Vem, on 9 September 1917 by the land surveyor Silvano Wendel on behalf of Luiz Ramos e Silva, one of the managers of "Sociedade Ramos e Porto & Cia"; as opposed to other settlements established in Upper Sorocabana, Val e Vem was planned, with broad streets and roads. The first two purchasers of plots were Francisco Bravo del Val and ângelo Tápias Ortiz. The first settler was José Franco Moia, who built "Hotel Franco". The name of the village was changed to Santo Anastácio on 25 July 1920, the day of the inauguration of the railway station; the new name, proposed by Engineer João Carlos Fairbanks, was accepted by "Estrada de Ferro Sorocabana". The district of Santo Anastácio was established on 1921 and inaugurated on 27 January 1922. The municipality of Santo Anastácio was established on 19 November 1925 and inaugurated on 27 March 1926.
The symbols of Santo Anastácio are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 476 of 21 October 1963.
The flag is made of 13 horizontal stripes, in turn green and white. The municipal coat of arms is placed on a white canton covering half of the flag's hoist [indeed six stripes]. The green stripes represent agriculture and pastures, while the white stripes represent cotton. These are the main sources of income for the municipality. The colours also symbolize hope and peace, respectively.
The coat of arms is "A Portuguese, rounded-off shield, surmounted by a mural crown. Per fess, 1a. Barruly of four vert and or, 1b. Barruly of four sable and argent, 2. Purpure [gules on the images] a fess wavy azure ensigned with a cotton boll proper. The shield supported by two branches of cotton proper. Beneath the shield a scroll azure inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by '19-11' and '1925' all argent."
The Portuguese shield, of general use by Brazilian municipalities, recalls our initial ethnic origin. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The first quarter is a tribute to the Brazilian national flag, while the second quarter is a tribute to the São Paulo State flag. Purpure is a symbol of freedom, tenacity and audacity. The fess wavy represents river Santo Anastácio, discovered by the pioneers on St. Anastasius' Day and the town's namesake. The cotton boll represents the town that flourished near the river and is known today as "Cotton Town", being the biggest cotton producer in the world. The date on the scroll recalls the municipal emancipation of Santo Anastácio.
http://camarapprudente.sp.gov.br/historia/hist_oeste/cidades/sanastacio/simbolos.html - "Enciclopédia Digital de Oeste Paulista" website, with a photo of the flag
Other photo of the flag
Ivan Sache, 28 February 2013
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.