Last modified: 2018-12-25 by rick wyatt
Keywords: university system of maryland | maryland | university | united states |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Randy Young, 6 September 2018
The University System of Maryland (USM) (see www.usmd.edu) is "a public corporation and charter school system comprising 12 Maryland institutions of higher education and 2 Regional Higher Education Centers". In 1988, the current System was created from the merger of the five University of Maryland institutions and the six members of the State University and College System of Maryland under the name University of Maryland System. In 1997, its name was changed to the University System of Maryland.
Sources: www.usmd.edu/institutions and en.wikipedia.org.
The 12 Maryland Institutions are:
- Bowie State University (BSU) (www.bowiestate.edu). The flag is the logo over a yellow horizontal flag.
- Coppin State University (CSU) (www.coppin.edu). The flag is the logo over a blue horizontal background.
- Frostburg State University (FSU) (www.frostburg.edu). The flag is the logo over a red horizontal background.
- Salisbury University (SU) (www.salisbury.edu). The flag is the logo over a maroon horizontal background.
- Towson University (TU) (www.towson.edu). The flag is the logo over a black horizontal background.
- University of Baltimore (UB) (www.ubalt.edu). The flag is the logo over a horizontal white background, with two blue stripes (one on top and one on the bottom).
- University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) (www.umaryland.edu). The flag is a vertical flag, with the logo (www.usmd.edu) in the middle and two outer light maroon stripes (on top and bottom) and two inner dark yellow stripes (on top and bottom).
- University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) (www.umbc.edu). Its flag is most likely the logo over a white horizontal background.
- University of Maryland College Park (UMD Maryland) (www.umd.edu). The flag is the Seal over a black background (a variant flag is the Seal over a white background as seen here (third flag from left to right: www.hagerstown.usmd.edu, source: www.hagerstown.usmd.edu).
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) (www.umes.edu). The flag is the logo over a white horizontal flag, with two maroon stripes (one on top and one on bottom).
- University of Maryland University College (UMUC) (www.umuc.edu). The flag is a navy blue horizontal background with the Seal in the middle. There's also a variant that features the logo (www.usmd.edu) over a white horizontal background, with two blue stripes (one on top and one on bottom).
- University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science (UMCES) (www.umces.edu). The flag is the logo (without inscription) over a horizontal white background.
The 2 Regional Higher Education Centers are:
- Universities at Shady Grove (USG) (official website: www.shadygrove.umd.edu)
- University System of Maryland at Hagerstown (USMH) (official website: hagerstown.usmd.edu)
They all have flags as seen in the following pictures:
- from left to right: UMUC, USMH, University of Maryland and TU): www.hagerstown.usmd.edu, from www.hagerstown.usmd.edu
- from left to right: indistinct, FSU, indistinct, SU and TU): hagerstown.usmd.edu, from hagerstown.usmd.edu
- Set of complete 14 flags: www.usmf.org and www.usmf.org, source: www.usmf.org from left to right:
1. TU 150 anniversary commemorative flag, featuring the TW 150 logo in inverted colors (tower and "150" in yellow, and the rest in
black) over a yellow horizontal background.
3. University of Maryland
4. indistinct (possibly UMBC)
Thus, we can conclude that all of the seven flags featured in this image have been positively identified.
Esteban Rivera, 22 August 2017