Last modified: 2018-12-25 by rick wyatt
Keywords: jackson county | north carolina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 21 February 2013
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Jackson County:
Jackson County (40,271 inhabitants in 2010; 12,790 ha) is located in the southwest of North Carolina. The county has four incorporated towns - Webster, Sylva (seat), Dillsboro and Forest Hills - and several well-defined communities with post offices, including Cashiers, Glenville, Tuckaseigee, Cullowhee, Balsam, and Whittier. Jackson County was established in 1851, carved from portions of Haywood County and Macon County. The seat of the country was transferred in 1913 from Webster to Sylva, a project pushed by the "Removalists" since around 1888.
The flag of Jackson County was approved on 18 February 2013 by the County's Commissioners. The flag was submitted by the Southwestern Community College (SCC) student Jessica Waldron. Proposals were solicited from students at SCC; Smoky Mountain High School and Western Carolina University. Commissioners are expected to adopt the flag during the regular meeting to be held on 4 March.
The flag is horizontally divided green-blue by a white stripe. All over is placed a round emblem featuring the clock tower of the County's historic Courthouse. The four finalist designs are also shown by the source. All of them feature the building.
www.thesylvaherald.com/top_stories/article_96a8ecde-7abe-11e2-aeec-001a4bcf6878.html - "The Sylva Herald", 19 February 2013
"Jackson County's most photographed building - its historic Courthouse - was built on a hill overlooking Sylva's Main Street. Constructed in 1914 by early industrialist C.J. Harris, the Courthouse is now part of the Jackson County Public Library Complex, which opened in June 2011.
Harris, Sylva's wealthiest businessman at the turn of the 20th century, was the man most responsible for making Sylva the county seat. Until a 1913 referendum, Webster, a town on the Tuckaseigee River that was bypassed by the railroad, was the seat of government; Harris and others argued that Sylva's booming train-based economy made it more suitable, and voters agreed. Courthouse construction was under way by August 1913, and county offices moved into their new quarters in March 1914.
The Courthouse was used until the 1994 completion of the Justice Center. The historic structure was extensively remodeled during 2009-2011 during construction of the new library and now houses the offices of the Jackson County Genealogical Society, the Jackson County Historical Association and the Jackson County Arts Council."
Ivan Sache, 21 February 2013
Paul Bassinson, 10 August 2018