Last modified: 2021-05-29 by rob raeside
Keywords: shipping lines |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 30 April 2021
Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels (1912) shows the house flag of "T"
Steam Coasters (Robinson, Brown & Co.) (#1361, p. 101), a Newcastle-based
company, as blue with a white border and the white letters "RB&Co.".
Ivan Sache, 30 April 2021
image by Ivan Sache, 28 April 2021
Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels (1912) shows the house flag of T.W.
Tamplin (#946, p. 82), a London-based company, as blue with a white "T" in
Ivan Sache, 28 April 2021
by Jarig Bakker
Tankers, Ltd (belonged to the Athel Line, which in its turn was part of United
Molasses) - blue with black parallelogram bordered white, charged with white
"T'. Source: All about Ships & Shipping, 1938
Jarig Bakker, 20 October 2003
W.J. Tatem, Ltd.
by Ivan Sache, 27 April 2021
William Tatem (1868–1942), known as Sir William Tatem, Bt, between 1916 and
1918, was a Cardiff ship-owner and thoroughbred racehorse owner and breeder.
Tatem was born in Appledore, North Devon from where he originally went to sea. He moved to Cardiff at the age of 18 and began work at the shipping offices of Anning Brothers. In 1897 he founded the Lady Lewis Steamship Company with a ship of that name and in 1910 this became the Tatem Steam Ship Company. He became, in addition to that company, chairman of the Atlantic Shipping and Trading company, Dulverton Steamship company, the West of England Steamship Owners' Protection and Indemnity Association, and the British Corporation for Registration of Shipping and Aircraft. He was chairman of the Cardiff Shipowners' Association in 1907 and President of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers in 1935. He also came to have directorships in other industries in south Wales and elsewhere. He was chairman of Crosswells Brewery in Cardiff and director of the Cardiff Docks and Railways company, Rhymney Railway company, the Great Western Railway company, Anglo-Equadorian Oilfields and Lobitos Oilfields Ltd, Mount Stuart Drydocks Ltd, and Cardiff Exchange Co Ltd. Tatem was a DL and JP for the county of Glamorgan, of which he became High Sheriff in 1911, as well as becoming a JP for Wiltshire in 1922. He was created a Baronet in 1916 and raised to the peerage as Baron Glanely, of St. Fagans in the County of Glamorgan, on 28 June 1918.
In the interwar period he was one of the leading owners in British flat racing. He bought the Lagrange stables at Newmarket in 1919 and maintained it until it was requisitioned by the British Army in 1939. He was British flat racing Champion Owner in 1919 and 1941, and was elected to the Jockey Club in 1929. His racing colours were black jacket, red, white and blue belt and cap. He was chairman of the companies owning Cardiff and Chepstow racecourses. His horses won six British Classic Races: Epsom Derby - Grand Parade (1919) Epsom Oaks - Rose of England (1930) 2,000 Guineas - Colombo (1934) 1,000 Guineas - Dancing Time (1941) St. Leger - Singapore (1930), Chulmleigh, (1937).
Cathays Cemetery Heritage Trail
Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels (1912) shows the house flag of the Tatem Steam Navigation Co., Ltd. (#753, p. 72) as red with a white "T".
Ivan Sache, 27 April 2021
image by Ivan Sache, 1 May 2021
Henry Taylor, the last managing director of the Grimsby trawling firm H L
Taylors Ltd, died on 30 May, 2008, aged 71. [...]
After National Service in the Royal Navy, he joined the family firm on the docks, a then thriving business founded by his grandfather in 1910. He took over the reins on the death of his father in 1978. [...]
Although like all Grimsby's old fishing firms H L Taylors was forced into closure - after which Mr Taylor ran a sports shop in Waltham's High Street - he remained a member of the Grimsby Fishermen's Dependants' Fund and was a trustee of the Sir Alec Black Charity.
H.L. Taylor was also known as the Diamonds Steam Fishing Co.
Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels (1912) shows the house flag of H.L. Taylor (#1562, p. 111), a Grimsby-based fishing company, as red with a white border, in the center, three white diamond placed vertically side by side.
Ivan Sache, 1 May 2021
image by Ivan Sache, 28 April 2021
ohn Wallace Taylor (1834-1927) was a member of the River Wear Commission. One of
the stained-glass windows in St John's Methodist Church, Sunderland, is
dedicated to him. His second son, Frederick William Taylor was a director of
Sunderland Association Football Club.
Franky's Scripophily Blogspot, 23 April 2019
Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels (1912) shows the house flag of Taylor & Sanderson Steam Shipping Co., Ltd. (#991, p. 84) as white with four vertical blue stripes and a red oval inscribing the white letters "T&S".
Ivan Sache, 28 April 2021
by Jarig Bakker, based on the website of the National Maritime Museum.
From the website of the National Maritime Museum, the house flag of Tavistock Shipping Co., London. A rectangular blue flag with a white letter 'T'. The flag is made of a wool and synthetic fibre bunting. It has a cotton hoist and is machine sewn. A rope and toggle is attached."
Brown (1951) lists this as The Tavistock Shipping Co., Ltd. (Purvis Shipping
Co., Ltd.), London
Jarig Bakker, 1 September 2004
from Stewart and Styring's Flags, Funnels and Hull Colors 1963
Yes, the image does show the period on the edge of the lozenge.
image by António Martins-Tuválkin, 16 May 2010
From a postcard collection: 12.1.4: Telegram
Construction and Maintenance
Postcard #12, 1st row, 4th flag of the collection reads "Telegram Construction and Maintenance" and shows a white ~2:3 flag with a red saltire throughout and the lettering "TC&MC" (standing for "Telegram Construction & Maintenance Company?) in black sans serif bold capitals and placed each letter by order respectively in the upper, hoist side, fly-side, and bottom triangles and the ampersand on the center of the saltire.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 16 May 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 29 April 2021
The Temperley Line fleets have their origins involved with the British Colonial
Steamship Co. Ltd., which began in 1864 with ships leaving from Plymouth, Devon,
England. The Temperley family have been ship owners since before 1850. From 1879
joint sailings were run with the King Line (Wm. Ross & Co.). This lasted until
1893 when John Temperley (senior) retired. Other ventures followed : J.
Temperley & Co. and the Temperley Steam Shipping Co. Ltd.
The Temperley Steam Shipping Co. Ltd. was formed in 1889. Based in London, its vessels were managed by J. Temperley & Co. In 1899, The Temperley Steam Shipping Co. Ltd.acquired another Temperley company –
United Steam Shipping Co. Ltd., owners of the "Melbridge". "Bembridge" was the only ship remaining in 1924, when the Company was voluntarily wound up.
Acorn Archive - Hearts of Oak
Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels (1912) shows the house flag of J. Temperley & Co. (#1181, p. 93) as blue with a white "T" in the center.
Ivan Sache, 29 April 2021
The Temple Steamship Co. has a strikingly similar house flag to the
Dornoch Steamship Co. Ltd. Both house
flags are white with a red triangle. They differ only by the geometry of the
triangle. It seems to me very weird that two different companies could have had
so similar and potentially confusing house flags.
Ivan Sache, 28 February 2004
It sometimes helps to record the funnel marking as well as the house flag. A
white flag with a red triangle, point uppermost, was also the house flag of Lambert Brothers.
Their ships had black funnels with the red triangle on a white band.
David Prothero, 29 February 2004