Last modified: 2017-08-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: vedene |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vedène - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 13 February 2006
The municipality of Vedène (9,048 inhabitants, 1,118 ha; municipal website) is located
10 km north-east of Avignon. The small town is built below a hill
surmounted by a castle built in the 12th century and still inhabited.
The ancient center of the village has kept a series of narrow streets,
the most emblematic of them being called in Provencal Rompo Quieu (in
French, Rompe Cul, that is "Ass Breaker").
The domain of Vedène was mentioned for the first time in February 1099. In 1274, the Comtat Venaissin was incorporated to the Holy See; the lords of Vedène, Imbert and Philippe Rainoardi, acknowledged the suzereignty of the Pope. In the middle of the 14th century, the domain of Vedène was bought by Louis Galliani, whose family later changed its name to Galléans, Barons de Vedennes, Seigneurs d'Eguilles et de Saint-Savournin. On 17 July 1790, the citizens of Vedène were the first in the Comtat Venaissin to ask the reincorporation to France; they placed the arms of France on all the gates of the village. Vedène has kept a café called Cercle du Progrès, with still 300 members. It is one of the last five circles of that kind in the department of Vaucluse.
Ivan Sache, 13 February 2006
The flag of Vedène is
vertically divided yellow-red-yellow-red-yellow-red-yellow-red-yellow
(nine stripes) with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The background of the flag is the early banner of arms of Provence.
The arms of are "Azure in chief a key in fess in base a cross couped or an inescucheon argent a bend sable voided or between two roses gules". The arms were ascribed by the Commission d'Héraldique. The inescutcheon bears the arms of Galléans.
Dominique Cureau & Ivan Sache, 13 February 2006