Last modified: 2021-05-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: casarabonela |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Casarabonela - Image from the Símbolos de Málaga website, 13 March 2021
The municipality of Casarabonela (2,599 inhabitants in 2015; 11,372 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km north-west of Málaga.
Casarabonela was first, significantly, settled by the Romans. In the 19th century, the Dutch orientalist Dozy identified the ruined castle as Castra Vinaria, mentioned by Pliny the Elder (Naturalis Historia, III, 10), without providing any evidence, either geographical or historical.
During the Muslim period, the town was known as Qasr Bunayr; the castle was of strategical importance, especially during the rebellion of the Banu Hafsun against the Caliphate of Córdoba in the 10th century. Part of the defensive belt that protected Bobastro, the castle was used from 922 onwards as a base for the operations against the rebels; the fortifications were increased after the suppression of the rebellion. The Nasrid used the castle as a main fortress in the border war that opposed them to the Christian states. Conquered by the Christians, the fortress was seized back In 1366 by Muhammad V, together with the villages of El Burgo and Tolox.
Casarabonela was eventually seized on 2 June 1485 by the Catholic Monarchs, during the last period of the Granada Wars. After the surrender, the Muslim population was allowed to stay in the town, to be completed with a group of Christian resettlers. After the expelling of the Moriscos, the town was fully resettled at the end of the 16th century with Christians from Seville and other provinces.
Casarabonela was granted in 1574 the status of villa by King Philip II; a copy of the charter is kept in the Municipal Archives.
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2016
The flag of Casarabonela, adopted on 22 December 2020 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 18 January 2021 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Resolution issued on 15 February 2021 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 22 February 2021 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 35, pp. 144-145 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: With three horizontal lines of equal dimension.
The colors of the flag are inspired by Casarabonela's landscape and culture. Blue, for the water, is the base and the foundation of the settlement. So important for the development of the successive cultures, Roman, Arab and Christian. Underground water, as well as water flowing from sources and foundations, irrigates Casarabonela's rich gardens.
White for the white-washed houses and the Morisco labyrinth on the mountain's flanks. Green for the natural environment, the fertile fields and the Sierra Prieta mountain that crowns Casarabonela's skyline and landscape.
Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, horizontally divided into three parts of equal width, the upper, green, the central, white, and the lower, blue. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
RGB 0 122 51
RGB 255 255 255
RGB 0 94 184
The coat of arms of Casarabonela, which does not appear to have been officially registered, is "Azure three towers or masoned and port and windows sable the central higher standing on a mount proper crossed by a network of paths or. A bordure or inscribed 'CASTRA VINARIA - CASR BONAIRA - CASARABONELA' in letters sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown open".
The arms are based on a banner granted by the Catholic Monarchs to the town.
Ivan Sache, 13 March 2021
Proposed flag of Casarabonela - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 September 2016
A flag, green with a purple triangle along the hoist separated from the main field by a white fimbriation, was proposed in 2011 by Andrés García Maldonado, upon request of the municipality. The registration process of the flag does not appear to have been completed yet; there is no evidence of the actual use of the flag.
[Alhama Comunicación, 18 January 2011]
Andrés García Maldonado, today Secretary General of the Chamber of Commerce of Málaga, was born in 1948 in Alhama de Granada. García Maldonado (website) moved to Málaga in 1967 and to Rincón de la Victoria in 1982. However, he never forgot his home town, "a bridge between Granada and Málaga", where he still owns a house; he was awarded on 10 June 2010 the title of "Prefered Child" of Alhama. A journalist, historian, lawyer and professor, García Maldonado contributed to the foundation of the University of Málaga (1973). He presided several associations, such as the Málaga Press Association, and local circles. He founded cultural festivals, such as the Alhama Festival, the Andaslusian Song Festival and the Andalusian Sea Festival, and presided official events, such as the Centenary of Pablo Picasso and the Centenary of the Andalusian Earthquakes (1984-1986). The latter event involved more than 100 towns and villages and peaked with the reconstruction in Alhama of the Monument to Universal Solidarity, eventually inaugurated in 2003. García Maldonado released in 1992 the "Manifesto for the Concord between Peoples and Cultures", calling for the removal of the opposition of cultures and nations from the historical, cultural and traditional commemorations.
García Maldonado published some 60 books and more than 100 monographs on the history of the Provinces of Granada and Málaga, with a special emphasis on Alhama; he was awarded the Spanish Writers' Gold Medal in 1996. Also a playwright, he wrote in 1969 La reclamación de Judas, forbidden by the government after the first performance held at the Málaga Experimental Theater.
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2016