Last modified: 2020-02-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: málaga |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of the Province of Málaga - Image by Ivan Sache, 4 February 2017
The Province of Málaga (1,652,999 inhabitants in 2013, therefore the 6th most populous province in Spain; 7,308 sq. km) is located in central southern Andalusia.
Ivan Sache, 28 June 2009
The flag of the Province of Málaga (photo, photo, photo, photo, photo,
photo) is white with a blue border, in width 1/8 of the flag's hoist, and the provincial coat of arms in the center.
The flag was designed in January 1978, based on the registration flag of the Maritime Province of Málaga. Neither the flag nor the arms were officially registered.
The coat of arms of the Province of Málaga is divided into two quarters.
The left (dexter) quarter is made of the municipal arms of Málaga, with the field azure instead of gules.
The right (sinister) quarter, added "at the time of the Republic", features 12 horizontal stripes, in turn red and yellow, representing the 12 judicial parties that form the province (Málaga excluded).
Ivan Sache, 4 February 2017
Flag of UMA - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 October 2019
UMA was established on 18 August 1972. It succeeded the University College of Málaga (Colegio Universitario de Málaga), established within the University of Granada by Decree No. 3,773 issued on 17 December 1970 by the Spanish Government and published on 12 January 1971 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 10, pp. 493-495 (text). A correction to the Decree was published on 11 February 1971 in the Spanish official gazette No. 36, p. 2,262 (text).
The flag of UMA (photo, photo, photo) is vertically divided blue-gray (1:2) with the university's coat of arms in the gray part.
The coat of arms of UMA is prescribed in Article 6.1. of the university's Statutes (text), last amended on 20 February 2018 by the university's Senate and approved by Decree No. 464 issued on 14 May 2019 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 17 May 2019 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 93, pp. 129-200.
The coat of arms of UAM features a white dove, as shown on the lithography "The Dove" designed by Málaga-born Pablo Ruiz Picasso, surrounded by the Latin writing "Universitas Malacitana" in capital letters, the whole surmounted by two branches of laurel forming a crown and tied in base.
The very same description appears in Article 5.1 of the original Statutes, approved by Decree No. 173 issued on 31 July 1985 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 27 August 1985 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 84, pp. 2,478-2,497 (photo).
Picasso made "Dove" on 9 January 1949 in the atelier of the printmaker Fernand Mourlot in Paris. It was published by the Galerie Louise Leiris, Paris, in an edition of five artist's proofs plus fifty signed and numbered prints on white Arches wove paper, of which this is number nine. It is a simple yet striking composition of a white dove - an acknowledged symbol of peace - on a black background, masterfully rendered in lithographic ink wash. The printmaker Mourlot has called it "one of the most beautiful lithographs ever achieved; the soft tones attained in the feathers ... are absolutely remarkable. This plate ... conveys the maximum that can be obtained with lithographic ink used as wash."
"Dove" was used to illustrate the poster of the 1949 Paris Peace Congress and became not only the symbol of the Peace Congresses but also of the ideals of world Communism. The Congrès mondial des Partisans de la paix opened in Paris on 20 April. The day before, Picasso's companion Françoise Gilot had given birth to his fourth child, who was named Paloma, the Spanish word for "dove". At the 1950 Peace Congress in Sheffield Picasso was asked to speak and made a brief speech recounting how his father had taught him to paint doves, which he concluded, "I stand for life against death; I stand for peace against war."
[Giorgia Bottinelli, February 2004]
Ivan Sache, 14 October 2019