Last modified: 2017-01-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: casabermeja |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Casabermeja - Image from the Símbolos de Málaga website, 17 September 2016
The municipality of Casabermeja (3,443 inhabitants in 2016; 6,728 ha; municipal website) is located 70 km north of Málaga.
Casabermeja was first mentioned on charters granted to the town by the Catholic Monarchs. The charter founding the town was confirmed by Queen Joanna in 1509 and 1529 and by Emperor Charles V in 1550, as "Casabermexa, located in the uninhabited Fields of Cámara [...] once settled by the Moors". On 26 February 1633, Agustin de Mancha Velasco purchased the town of Casabermeja.
At that time, Casabermeja was a winegrowers' town; in 1571, Casabermeja sued the Winegrowers' Brotherhood of Málaga, who forbid the sale of Casabermeja wines in their town, relying on a privilege granted by Queen Joanna on 27 July 1513. On 16 August 1578, the court ordered the Málaga winegrowers to allow free trade of wine in the town. This did not solve the case; Decrees by Philip IV (16 October 1640) and Charles II (6 December 1698) nullified the court order and confirmed the privilege granted by Joanna to Málaga.
The inhabitants of Casabermeja are nicknamed borricos (donkeys). Once asked to build a fountain in the village, the mayor could not decide of the height of the pillar, higher for human beings or lower for animals. He eventually solved the dilemma by saying "If I can reach it, the donkeys can reach it".
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2016
The flag and arms of Casabermeja, adopted on 3 December 2004 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 19 January 2005 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 2 February 2005 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 17 February 2005 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 34, p. 30 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3, vermillion [bermejo], with the municipal coat of arms 2/4 of the hoist, located at 1/3 of the hoist.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Or, a castle gules port and windows azure. A bordure per pale purpure and vert. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Casabermeja used in the past different coats of arms, none of them being officially approved. In 2004, the municipality commissioned two experts in heraldry and vexillology, Antonio Nieto Carnicer and Ignacio Koblischek Zaragoza, to design a flag and a coat of arms, based on the symbols approved on 3 February 1996 but rejected by the competent authorities. The red castle is canting for the name of the town, Cars Bermeja (Arabic) or Castillo Bermejo ("The Vermillion Castle"); the castle, later suppressed, watched the Fields of Cámara in the Moorish times. The blue port and windows of the castle represent the hospitality offerred by the inhabitants of the town to their visitors. The yellow background of the shield represent cereals, the traditional crop in the area. The bordure of the shield uses the colours of the Málaga Province.
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2016