Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: waldbrunn(westerwald) | ellar | parted per pale | lion(red) | lion(yellow) | billet |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a blue-yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
administration seat: Fussingen
Gießen District , state Hesse
banner approved on 11 December 1981
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 31 Aug 2006
Shield parted per pale; at dexter Or a lion rampant sinister facing Gules, armed and tongued Azure; at sinister Azure semy of billets Or, a lion rampant Or, armed and tongued Gules.
The current arms had been those of Ellar municipality before. Ellar received city rights in 1372 from Count Eberhard of Katzenelnbogen, which remained however defunct. From 1408 the town was ruled as a condominium by the Counts of Nassau and the Counts of Katzenelnbogen. The red lion is the lion of Katzenelnbogen, the golden lion is the lion of Nassau. The oldest known, 15th century, seal shows two shields, each with a lion. Behind the two shields, St. Maximianus, the patron saint, was seen. In 1964 the two small arms were combined, the saint was removed and the arms of both rulers were united in the current shield.
The arms were approved to former Ellar commune in 1964 and adopted by Waldbrunn municipality in 1977, when Ellar, Hausen, Fussingen, Lahr and Hintermeilingen merged.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.30
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Apr 2017
back to Limburg-Weilburg Cities and Municipalities Page click here