Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: elz(lahn) | chalice | serpent |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The banner is quartered off-centred of blue and yellow with the coat of arms on the intersection point of all quarters.
Gießen District , state Hesse
banner approved in 1959, finally on 27 September 1964
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 29 Aug 2006
Shield Azure, a chalice Or, filled with a serpent Argent tongued Gules.
Elz gained city rights in 1442 from the Archbishop of Trier, but the town never developed into a real city. The oldest known seal already displays chalice and serpent, a symbol for St. John the Baptist, the patron saint. Later seals show the arms as an in escutcheon on the cross of Trier. The present arms are based on the oldest seal. As the colours were not known, it was chosen to use the colours of Nassau, as the town belonged to Nassau since 1802.
The arms were officially approved in 1958.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.30
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Apr 2017
back to Limburg-Weilburg Cities and Municipalities Page click here