Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bad karlshafen | barrulet(embattled) | demi-lion | sun(radiant) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a green-yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Kassel District , state Hesse
banner approved on 15 May 1975
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 9 Nov 2006
Shield parted per fess by a barrulet embattled Argent; above Azure, a demi-lion issuant barry of six of Argent and Gules, armed Or; beneath Vert, issuant from base a radiant sun Or.
Bad Karlshafen was established as Karlshafen city on the mouth of Diemel River and its confluence with Weser River in 1699 by Count Karl of Hessen as start of the local canal between the Weser river and Kassel. The first citizens were Huguenot refugees from France. The city was named Karlshafen after its founder in 1717. Before 1717 it was called Sieburg and on the first seal of the city from 1718 a castle was placed. The castle was also used in the arms of the city. It has been stated that the arms were thus canting (Burg = castle). The 19th century arms displayed a castle, which looked like the local Kruckenburg castle. In the 1970ies Karlshafen, already known as a spa since 1730, was granted the prefix "Bad". The city is a spa both for the salty waters as well as the sun (Solbad), which is symbolised by the radiant sun.
Sources: Ralf Hartemink's webpage and Stadler 1967, p.54
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 June 2017
back to Kassel Cities and Municipalities Page click here