Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis alzenau | alzenau county | coat of arms: per pale (wheel: white) | coat of arms: per pale (chevrons: red) | coat of arms: per pale (chevrons: 3) | coat of arms: base (crozier: blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 23rd March 1965, abolished 30th June 1972
Red-white-blue, adopted 23.03.1965. The county was integrated into Aschaffenburg county in the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 14 August 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on March 23, 1965. A large part of the county, around the city of Alzenau, was from 1500-1736 a free area, jointly governed by the Archbishops of Mainz and the Counts of Hanau. This is shown in the upper part of the arms with the wheel of Mainz and the arms of the Counts of Hanau. The lower part symbolises the Seligenstadt Abbey, which had many possessions in the district. The colours in the lower part are taken from the colours of Bavaria.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 15 July 2003