Last modified: 2019-08-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: quebec | saint-gabriel-de-valcartier |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier (3,382 inhabitants in 2016;
44,117 ha) is located in the northern part of the Quebec Urban Community, 25 km
from Quebec downtown, and 15 km north-east from Shannon, the capital of MRC La
Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier was settled in 1812 by European colonists, who built a road connecting river Jacques-Cartier (178 km, tributary of the Saint-Lawrence) to Loretteville. In 1815, four businessmen from Quebec, John Neilson, Andrew Stuart, Louis Moquin and Nicholas Vincent, purchased several plots from he Society of Jesus and organized the colonization of the area. John Neilson called for the establishment of a durable farmers' settlement equipped with schools and other services. The churches reflect the diversity of the first settlers: St. Andrews church (Scottish Presbyterian, 1843); Christ Church (Anglican, 1863), St. Gabriel Church (Roman Catholic, 1852, increased in 1911), keeping the oldest altar in Quebec Diocese, designed around 1770 by François-Noël Levasseur; and St. Andrews church (United Church of Canada, 1926).
The today's municipality of Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier was established in October 1985 as the merger of the former municipalities of Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier and Saint-Gabriel Ouest, which had been established on 18 May 1861 as the splitting of the old municipality of Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier, erected in 1845.
The flag of Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier, designed in 2018, is in proportions 1:2, vertically divided (1:2:1) green-white-green with thin golden-yellow stripes separating the green and white fields, and the municipal logo in the center.
http://saint-gabriel-de-valcartier.ca/municipalite/%e2%80%a2devise-logos-armoiries/ Municipal website
The logo represents the characteristic elements of the local landscape: the mountains, the forest, the farmland, and the river. The tree trunk divided in two, symbolizes the two languages, forming a one and only tree, the municipality. The logo reflects the bilingual municipal motto, created in 2005 by Louise Verret, "Ensemble, au cœur de la nature, Together, in the heart of nature".
Image from the municipal website: http://saint-gabriel-de-valcartier.ca/municipalite/%e2%80%a2devise-logos-armoiries/
Ivan Sache, 9 July 2019
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.