Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | santa cruz do rio pardo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
27 January 2013
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_do_Rio_Pardo
A white bearing the municipal arms.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 27 January 2013
Santa Cruz was founded in the second half of the 19th century by José Theodoro de Souza, Joaquim Manuel de Andrade and Manoel Francisco Soares. The settlement was named for a big cross ("cruz") planted on the bank of Rio Pardo and lit nightly with torches and candles to repel the natives. After the arrival of the Sorocabana Railway in 1908, the town became a significant coffee exporter. In the 1940s, Santa Cruz de Rio Pardo was the main center of alfalfa cultivation in São Paulo State.
The symbols of Santa Cruz de Rio Pardo are prescribed in Article 2 of the Municipal Constitution, last amended on 8 May 2012, as "the flag, the coat of arms and other symbols established by a Municipal Law".
The flag is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
Photo of the flag:
The coat of arms is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 158 of 18 December 1962. "Rounded-off Portuguese shield surmounted by a mural crown. The first [upper] quarter azure (blue) with a Latin cross or and the second [lower] quarter gules (red) a fess wavy argent. The shield supported dexter by a plant of alfalfa and sinister by a plant of cotton flowered the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the motto 'OMNIA BONUM OMNIUM' surrounded by the dates '20/01/1870' and '24/02/1876' all gules."
The rounded-off Portuguese shield, similar to that used by the
Portuguese towns, recalls our origin and is of common use for
Azure is a symbol of liberation, loyalty, intrepidity, zeal and glory.
Gules is a symbol of tenacity, sense of sacrifice and struggle.
The Latin cross is a symbol of exaltation of faith that raised the
people of Santa Cruz de Rio Pardo to splendid civic, cultural and
The fess wavy represents Rio Pardo, the base of the hydrographic
system of the municipality, which, together with its tributaries,
irrigates the generous soil.
The mural crown argent [or on the drawing of the coat of arms and on
the flag] is of generalized use in Brazil to represent municipalities.
The plant of alfalfa symbolizes one of the main crops in the
municipalities. The plant of cotton symbolizes a crop that contributes
to the income of Brazil and represents the achievements of the
pioneers, especially in this region.
The Latin motto reads "All for the common good". The dates are those
of the foundation and municipal emancipation of the town, respectively.
http://www.santacruzdoriopardo.sp.gov.br/hino.htm - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 28 January 2013
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.