Last modified: 2012-12-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | nova odessa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
16 December 2012
Based on: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Odessa
Gyronny of black and white and in the centre a white rectangle bearing the municipal arms.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 16 December 2012
Nova Odessa was established, as a colonial nucleus, on 4 May 1905 by Decree No. 1,286. The colony was settled by Russian immigrants, but none of them came from Odessa. Most of them, indeed, were Latvians. The railway station of Nova Odessa was inaugurated on 1 August 1907. The district of Nova Odessa, part of the municipality of Americana, was established on 1 January 1939. The municipality of Nova Odessa was established on 31 December 1958 by State Law No. 5,121 and inaugurated on 1 January 1960.
The symbols of Nova Odessa, designed by Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria, are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 181 of 24 June 1965.
The flag is a gyronny of eight triangles, in turn black and white. In the middle of the flag is placed a white rectangle charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Photos of the flag:
The coat of arms is "A Samnitic shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown argent. Gules a griffin argent a bordure of the same. The shield supported dexter by a sugarcane and sinister by a branch of cotton the two proper. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the motto 'VIGILÁNCIA, SABEDORIA E PODER" in letters argent [sable on the drawing]."
The Samnitic shield, of French origin and the first type of shield
used in Portugal, refers to the colonizers and main builders of the
The six-towered mural crown stands for a third-rank town (municipality
Gules (red) is a symbol of audacity, intrepidity, valour, valiance,
nobleness and rule, characteristic of the Latvian immigrants, the
first colonists, who left their birth land and settled with courage
and audacity, in spite of adverse climatic and linguistic conditions,
the town that is today Nova Odessa.
The griffin is a mythological beast, half lion and half eagle, a
symbol of custody, vigilance, perfection and power, characteristic of
the today's inhabitants of Nova Odessa, the proud followers of the
work initiated by the colonizers, who, with knowledge and intelligence
(represented by the eagle) and powerful force (represented by the
lion), through permanent, efficient and building work, contribute to
the greatness of the today's town.
Argent as the colour of the bordure of the shield is a symbol of peace
and religious, Christian feelings; argent as the colour of the griffin
is a symbol of friendship, integrity, equity, justice and purity.
The sugarcane and the cotton branch represent the main products of the
fertile and generous soil, as the pillars of local economy, although
textile and ceramics industries are also important.
The motto means "Vigilance, Knowledge and Power".
Ivan Sache, 17 December 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.