Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | monções |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
10 December 2012
Based on: http://www.moncoes.sp.gov.br/menu/municipio.php#tabs-2
A yellow-white-green vertical tricolour flag bearing the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 10 December 2012
Monções was settled in 1885 by Vicente Gonçalves dos Santos. He settled in the basin of a main tributary of the St. Barbara River, which he named Ponte Nova River, to recall its birth town, Ponte Nova (Minas Gerais). The modern town of Monções emerged on 10 August 1935 with the erection of a cross, around which the village of Paraúna developed. The district of Paraúna was established by Decree-Law No. 15,383 of 27 December 1945 and inaugurated on 9 January 1946. The municipality of Monções was inaugurated on 21 March 1965.
The coat of arms of Monções, of the rounded-off or Iberic style used
in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil, represents a tribute
of the municipality to the main colonizers and builders of our country.
Or is a symbol of richness, splendour, nobleness, power, force, faith,
prosperity, sovereignty and rule.
In the upper part of the shield, on a white background, a fleur-de-lis
azure and a cross argent [gules on the image] symbolize Our Lady of
the Apparition, the town's patron saint, and the religious feelings of
On a white background is a legendary representation of the "monções",
those old expeditions that sailed down river Tietê to explore the
hinterland, including the one led by Captain Vicente Gonçalves dos
Santos, the founder of Paraúna, today Monções.
On the green base is an oxen's head, symbolizing cattle breeding, an
important source of income for the municipality.
The shield is supported dexter by a branch of coffee and sinister by a
plant of maize the two proper, symbolizing the fertility of the soil
and the main sources of income for the municipality.
Below the shield, a red scroll is charged with the municipality's name
and the tears "1945" and "1964", the years of establishment of the
district and of the municipality, respectively.
Ivan Sache, 20 January 2013
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.