Last modified: 2013-04-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | juquiá |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Juquiá was founded in 1829 by Felipe Fernandes and other colonists on
the banks of river Juquiá, close to its confluence with river São
Lourenço. The original name of the place, Santo Antônio de Juquiá, was
shortened to Juquiá by Law No. 9,073 of 31 March 1938.
The municipality of Juquiá was established in December 1948. Juquiá
means "a fish trap" or "muddy waters", referring to the dark colour of
the river's water.
http://www.juquia.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The symbols of Juquiá are prescribed in Article 3 of the Municipal
Constitution, last amended on 20 December 2012, as "the flag, the coat
of arms and the municipal anthem, whose design and use shall be
prescribed by Law".
http://www.camarajuquia.sp.gov.br/pdf/Lei%20Organica%20de%20Juquia.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag of Juquiá is blue with two horizontal white stripes in the lower half of the flag. In canton is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms. The coat of arms is canting, showing a rebus of the name of the municipality's name, "a fish trap" in Tupi-Guarani.
Ivan Sache, 19 April 2013
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.