Last modified: 2013-04-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | icém |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 14 April 2013
Icém was established by Colonel Domiciano Alves Ferreira, as Agua Doce
(Freshwater), and subsequently sold to Captain Jonas Francisco Alves.
The new owner sold one fourth of the domain to Major Salustiano
Custódio da Silveira, who eventually set up plots to establish a new
settlement. The district of Icém (in Tupi-Guarani, "freshwater") was
established by Law No. 1,449 of 28 December 1914, as part of the
municipality of Barretos, and inaugurated on 24 April 1915. The
district was transferred to the municipality of Olímpia by Law No.
1,571 of 7 December 1917, and to the municipality of Guarací by Decree-
Law No. 14,334 of 30 November 1944.
The municipality of Icém was established by Law No. 2,456 of 30
December 1953 and inaugurated on 1 January 1954.
http://www.icem.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The flag of Icém is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 341 of 6 October 1966. The flag, compliant with the traditions of the Portuguese heraldry inherited by Brazil, is green with a white-yellow-white cross and saltire. In the middle of the flag is placed a white rectangle charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms represents the municipal government, while the
rectangle that inscribes it represents the town as the seat of the
The saltire represents the municipal power spreading all over the
The quarters represent the rural estates located on the municipal
The coat of arms of Icém is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 342 of 6 October 1966. "A Samnitic shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown argent. Vert a fess wavy argent per bend charged with five fish natant sable 2 + 1 + 2 cantonned by two hunting horns or. The shield supported dexter by a sugarcane and sinister by a branch of cotton the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll vert inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by the dates '1914' and '1953" all or."
The Samnitic shield, the first style of shield introduced in Portugal
from France and inherited by the Brazilian heraldry, evokes the
colonizing race that mainly built our nation.
The six-towered mural crown argent represents a third-rank town, seat
of a municipality.
Vert is a symbol of victory, honour, courtesy, civility, joy,
abundance and friendship (according to Ginanni*, quoted by Guelfi**).
It is the colour of hope, alluding to the greening fields in spring
promising profuse harvests.
The fess wavy represents Rio Grande and recalls the older name of the
place, Água Doce (Freshwater). The fish recalls the abundance of fish
in the river, exported on a large scale.
The hunting horns represent cattle breeding, one of the main sources
of income for the municipality.
The sugarcane and the branch of cotton represent the main products of
the generous and fertile soil.
The years "1889" and "1948" are those of the establishment of the
municipality and of adoption of its current name, respectively.
*Most probably, Marc Antonio Ginanni's "L'arte del blazone dichiarata
per alfabeto", published in 1756.
**Most probably, Count Piero Guelfi Camajani's "Dizionario araldico", published in 1940.
Ivan Sache, 9 April 2013
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.