Last modified: 2012-11-04 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | cerquilho |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
16 October 2012
An upright red cross, bordered yellow, on a blue field with the municipal arms in the centre on a yellow disk.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 16 October 2012
Cerquilho was established, mostly by Italian, Spanish and Portuguese immigrants. The name of the town, of Spanish origin and already known in the 18th century, means "surrounded", referring to a wooden fence that once surrounded the camp used by cowboys heading to the Sorocaba fair. The parish of São José de Cerquilho was established in 1914. In 1948, the town was severely damaged by the explosion of a wagon load with five tons of dynamite. The municipality of Cerquilho was established on 24 December 1948 by State Law No. 233 and inaugurated on 3 April 1949. Cerquilho, famous for its rose gardens, is known as Rose Town.
The flag of Cerquilho, designed by Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 523 of 31 March 1970. The flag is blue, quartered by a yellow-red-yellow cross. In the middle is placed the municipal coat of arms on a yellow disk.
Photos of the flag, hoisted outdoors, "Pátria Amada " project, April
Photos of the flag, used indoors:
[On the photos, the blue shade of the flag appears to be close to the shade used on the national flag, therefore darker than on the images.]
The cross symbolizes the Christian feelings of the locals. The yellow disk represents the town as the seat of the municipal power, itself represented by the coat of arms. The stripes forming the cross represent the municipal power exerted over the whole municipal territory. The quarters represent the rural estates in the municipality. Blue is a symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, recreation and beauty. Yellow is a symbol of glory, splendor, wealth, greatness and rule. Red is a symbol of patriotic feeling, dedication, audacity, liberation, value, intrepidity, courage and valiance.
The coat of arms of Cerquilho, designed by José Orestes Corradi and
Geraldo Pires da Silva, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 465 of 5
June 1968. The design was adopted following a public contest.
"Portuguese, rounded-off shield, per fess, 1a. Gules a steam
locomotive proper, 1b. Or a cross vert superimposed with a disk
purpure charged with a lyre proper, 2. Azure a stylized wooden fence
proper ensigned with a star argent, in canton an escutcheon argent
charged with a horned screamer sable the head turned dexter. The
shield surmounted by a mural crown representing towns. The shield
supported dexter by coffee branch proper and sinister by three sugar
canes vert. Below the shield a cogwheel sable supporting a scroll
gules inscribed with the motto 'HIC LABOR VINCIT' [Here Work
Triumphed] in letters argent."
Ivan Sache, 3 November 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.