Last modified: 2013-04-13 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | cajati |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Cajati was founded in the second decade of the 19th century by the Portuguese
gold prospector Matias de Pontes and the native Botujuru.
When canoeing on river Canha, they set up a camp on a beach but had to
move upstream following a flooding episode. Botujuru died from malaria
and Pontes established near a small waterfall ("cachoeira") the
village of Cachoeira, on the site of today's Cajati, where he would
live for the next 50 years.
In 1938, the "Moinho Santista" company was granted a concession to
extract limestone and apatite (a phosphate mineral) from the Morro da
Mina, a dormant volcano explored in the 1930s by Theodoro Knecht. A
railway line was set up to transport the ore from the left bank of
river Jacupiranga to Cajati. The district of Cajati was established on
13 June 1944, as a part of the municipality of Jacupiranga.
The municipality of Cajati was established by State Law No. 7,664,
published on 31 December 1991 in the State official gazette, following
a plebiscite organized on 19 May 1991.
http://www.cajati.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The flag of Cajati is white with three red, blue and green rays ascending from hoist to fly and separated by a white fimbriation. In canton is placed the municipal coat of arms, surrounded at the top by "LIBERDADE" (Liberty) and at the bottom by "E IGUALIDADE" (And Equality) in blue letters.
Image redrawn after the image contributed on 19
January 2013 to Wikimedia Commons by "Prefeitura Municipal"
Ivan Sache, 21 March 2013
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.