Last modified: 2013-03-23 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | borborema |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 19 March 2013
An off-centred blue cross, bordered white, on a red field, bearing the municipal arms in a white disk on the cross.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 2 October 2012
Borborema was founded on 12 May 1902 by the owners of the Fugidos
Estate, named for a community once founded there by fugitive slaves.
The early colonists pointed out that a new settlement called Fugidos
would not be very attractive; accordingly, the district of Borborema
was established by State Law No. 1,196 of 29 December 1909, as part of
the municipality of Itápolis. Borborema is indeed the name of a
mountain range located in Paraíba State; Nicolau Pizzolante, one of
the founders of the town, appears to have selected this name, upon the
advice of a close friend coming from Paraíba and believing it means
"highlands", although the new settlement is far away from any heights.
Anyway, Borborema rather means, in Tupi-Guarani, "a waste land". This
is probably not more attractive than Fugidos but nobody noticed it and
the new name was adopted without further discussion.
The municipality of Borborema was established by Law No. 2,089 of 19
December 1925 and inaugurated on 21 March 1926.
http://www.borborema.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The symbols of Borborema were designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar.
The flag is red with an off-centered blue cross fimbriated yellow. Over the intersection of the cross' arms is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms. The size of the flag is 14 units x 20 units. The width of the cross' arms is 3 units, with a fimbriation of 0.5 unit in width. The vertical axis of the cross' vertical arm is placed 7 units from the hoist. The diameter of the disk is 8 units, while the height of the coat of arms is 6 units.
Photos of the flag
The coat of arms is "An Iberian shield, gules a bundle of three arrows surrounded by two bees displayed all or, the base or charged with a fess wavy azure. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a plant of maize and sinister by a branch of orange tree, the two leaved and fructed proper. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the municipality's name in letters or."
The Iberian shield, used in Portugal at the time of discovery of
Brazil, is a tribute to the early colonizers and builders of the
Gules (red) is a symbol of audacity, valour, fierceness, nobleness,
intrepidity, magnanimity and honour.
The arrows, St. Sebastian's martyr tools, represent the patron saint
of the municipality, once named São Sebastião dos Fugidos, and the
historical establishment of the first settlement by Major Claudino do
Nascimento. The arrows are a symbol of war tradition, divine love and
The bees symbolize work, industry, parsimony, sweetness and activity.
Or is a symbol of wealth, splendour, generosity, nobleness, glory,
power, force, faith, constancy, prosperity, sovereignty and rule. Or
also evokes the inextinguishable resources of the soil.
The fess wavy alludes to the water resources of the municipality, used
to irrigate crops, such as rivers Tietê, São Lourenço and dos Porcos.
Azure is a symbol of justice, beauty, sweetness, nobleness,
incorruptible firmness, glory, virtue, constancy, dignity, zeal and
The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The open ports
The maize plant and the orange tree branch represent the soil
fertility and the main sources of income for the municipality.
http://www.borborema.sp.gov.br/_portal/simbolos/ver.asp?id=1 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2013
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.