Last modified: 2012-12-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | boituva |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 1 October 2012
Basically a vertical tricolour, green, striped, gold, the striped panel having 13 black and white stripes, and bearing the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 1 October 2012
Boituva was known to the Guainaze tribe as M'boituva, in Tupi-Guarani, "many cobras". To be protected from those snakes, the natives settled the hills. The oldest mention of Boituva dates back to 1726, when the place was granted to José de Campos Bicudo, who sold it in 1766 to Fernandes Maciel. Maps of the time mention Boituva and the boroughs of Corumbá, Pinhal, Sítio Grande and Pau d'Alho. The modern town developed near the Boituva railway station, inaugurated on 16 July 1882.
The flag of Boituva is prescribed by Municipal Decree No. 71 of 16 October 1970. The flag is divided into three equal parts. The left part is green and the right part is yellow, representing the national colours. The middle part is divided into three black and white stripes, representing the colours of São Paulo State, superimposed with the municipal coat of arms.
Photos of the flag
http://www.boituva.sp.gov.br/idx_infoX.php?cb=2&est=1&ac=1222 - 4
http://www2.boituva.sp.gov.br/idx_infoX.php?cb=2&est=2&ac=196 - 2
http://www.gob.org.br/gob/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2478 - 11 August 2010
[On the photos, the green and yellow shades on the flag appear the same as on the nearby Brazilian flag, and much less dark than on the drawing used as the source of Dirk's image.]
The coat of arms of Boituva is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 472 of 15 October 1962. "Per fess, 1a. Azure, a St. Roch's dog proper, 1b. Or a mound clay ensigned with pioneer's paraphernalia proper, 2. Vert a tower or ports and windows gules over a gear wheel proper surrounded dexter and sinister by a snake proper. The shield surmounted by a mural crown or ports sable with the main port ensigned by a fleur-de-lis argent. The shield surrounded dexter by a sugar cane and sinister by a branch of coffee. Below the shield a scroll azure inscribed the motto 'FIDES LABOR HOSPITALITAS' [Faith Work Hospitality] in letters or."
The St. Roch's dog represents the patron saint of the municipality.
The mount represents the topography of the municipality, while the
jack and clearing tools represent the pioneer family of the old
borough of Boituva.
The gear wheel represents industry.
The snake recalls the Tupi etymology of the place name, from "moboy",
"a cobra", and "tuva", "many".
The fleur-de-lis represents Our Lady of the Apparition, the patron
saint of the district of Iperó.
Sugar cane and coffee represents the agricultural production in the
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.