Last modified: 2012-12-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | bariri |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 26 September 2012
A centred red cross, bordered white, on a dark blue field with a white lozenge in the centre bearing the municipal arms.
Official website at
http://www.bariri.sp.gov.br/. The flag and the law about is shown on the
official site at
Dirk Schönberger, 26 September 2012
Bariri is named for the Tupi-Guarani word "bariry", meaning "a segment of river with waterfall and tumultuous water". In 1769, Teotônio José Juzarte, a member of the Portuguese Navy aged only 19, was commissioned to explore river Tietê, then said to be haunted by cannibal Indians, wild beasts and, mostly, giant cobras. On 20 April 1769, he discovered a long island near a small waterfall, which was named Bariry-Mirim, and a small island near a big waterfall, which was named Bariry-Guaçu. In 1832, the area was known as Campos de Araraquara, made of one district and 19 quarters. The today's territory of Bariri formed Quarter No. 9, inhabited by José Antonio de Lima according to the 1835 census. In 1858, João Leme da Rosa acquired most of the land and built a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows. Colonel Antonio José de Carvalho purchased most of the domain in 1864; his son-in-law, Joaquim Lourenço Correa, obtained on 16 June 1890 from Governor Prudente de Moraes the establishment of the municipality of Bariri, named for the big waterfall by the governor himself.
The flag, the coat of arms and the anthem are listed as the municipal symbols, to be prescribed by Municipal Law, in Article 2 of the Municipal Constitution, last amended on 31 December 2008.
http://www.bariri.sp.gov.br/cms//arquivos/arquivos/LEI_ORGANICA.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag of Bariri is prescribed by Law No. 847 adopted on 5 September 1968.
The flag is described in Article 1 Paragraph 1 as blue, with a white
lozenge in the middle, charged with the municipal coat of arms. From
the lozenge are issuing, in the vertical and horizontal directions,
white stripes superimposed with a narrower red stripe [the stripes
form a white-red-white cross].
The interpretation of the symbolic of the flag, "according to the
general principles of heraldry" is given in Article 1 Paragraph 2 as:
- the quartering by the cross evokes the Christian spirit of the locals;
- the coat of arms in the middle represents the Municipal Government;
- the lozenge represents the town as the seat of the municipality; its white colour means peace and friendship, purity and work, and prosperity, exemplified in the community life of the locals;
- the stripes are the symbol of the Municipal Power spreading to all the quarters of the municipality; they are superimposed to red stripes to mean ardour, intrepidity, audacity, authority and power, as well as patriotic love, all of this being intrinsic features of our power;
- the quarters represent the rural estates located in the municipality; they are blue to mean justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal, loyalty and religious feelings that exist on the municipal territory.
Article 2 states that the rules of use of the flag shall be prescribed by the Executive.
http://www.bariri.sp.gov.br/cms//arquivos/arquivos/Lei%20Bandeira.pdf - Law on the flag of Bariri
Photos indicate that the flag in real use has the red stripe narrower than the white stripes, as prescribed in the law, and not equal, as represented on the drawing of the municipal website [and on the image above].
The coat of arms of Bariri is prescribed by Law No. 3,088 adopted on 22 May 2000.
The "new coat of arms" of the municipality is described in Article 1: "Represented by a shield surmounted by a Portuguese mural crown of bronze colour; surrounded on the one side [dexter] by a branch of coffee and the archetypical representation of a pioneer, on the the other side [sinister] by a plant of maize and the representation of a farm worker. On the shield, in the upper part [chief], right [sinister], the representation of Mercury, in profile, symbolizing trade, on a green background, left [dexter], the representation of a gear wheel [or], full-face, symbolizing industry, on a red background. In the middle of the shield, river Tietê and [three] fish [argent] representing the rich fauna living in its water. Lower in the shield [in base] a drawing of the Bariri hydroelectric plant*. Below the shield the motto "BARIRI TERRAM PAULISTA UBERAT" [in letters sable on a scroll argent]. Below [the scroll] the numeral '1890', for the year of political and administrative emancipation of the municipality.
*The "álvaro de Souza Lima" power plant (143 MW) was built in 1959-1969 by CHERP (Companhia Hidrelétrica do Rio Pardo), the company in charge of the establishment of plants on river Prado and (middle) Tietê. CHERP was merged on 5 December 1966 with other companies to form CESP (Centrais Elétricas de São Paulo).
The representation of the supporters is detailed in Article 2. - Pioneer: A bearded man, wearing a brown hat, holding a blunderbuss in the right hand and a powder box in the left hand; dark brown boots and jacket; a white shirt; beige trousers; a black belt with a golden buckle; a gray strap from the right shoulder to the left part of the belt holding a sword. - Farm worker: A man wearing a brown hat holding a hoe on the right shoulder and wearing dark brown knee-high trousers and a white, short- sleeved shirt.
Article 3 states that the present Law abrogates Law No. 841 of 7 June 1968.
The flag, adopted short after the original coat of arms, must have been updated when the coat of arms was changed - unless b "new coat of arms" is mostly intended a rephrasing of the description.
- Law on the coat of arms of Bariri
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.