Last modified: 2013-03-23 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | Águas de santa bárbara |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 3 March 2013
Águas de Santa Bárbara was founded on 2 April 1868, as São Domingos do Tupã, by the Marques do Valle family, originating from Minas Gerais. Eighteen days later, they established the village of Santa Bárbara do Rio Pardo, named for a wooden statue of St. Barbara purchased by José Marques' wife in Ouro Fino, Minas Gerais. Three months later, the seat of the district was transferred from São Domingos to Santa Bárbara. The land was offered by local landlords, including the wealthy Ignácio Dias Batista, aka Captain Apiahy, owner of the Rio Claro Estate (today the center of the big town of Botucatu). The municipality of São Domingos do Tupã was established in 1878, and eventually renamed Águas de Santa Bárbara on 1 June 1978.
The healing virtues of the hot water of the Poço Quente / Água Virtuosa source were already known to the first colonizers. The State
purchased the source in 1938. The 2nd International Congress of
Hydrotherapy, organized in Rio de Janeiro in September 1940,
recognized the "Mizael Marques Sobrinho" water as "one of the best
mineral waters in the word". The modern spa was built in 1983.
http://www.aguasdesantabarbara.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The flag of Águas de Santa Bárbara is green with a white triangle placed along the hoist, charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Photos of the flag:
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.
Bei fahnenversand.de erhalten Sie eine Vielzahl an günstigen Flaggen, Pins und Aufnähern, zum Beispiel: