Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | santa barbara d'oeste | chevron (yellow) | lozenge (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
24 January 2013
based on http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_B%E1rbara_d'Oeste
Adopted by municipal law 2195 of 13 May 1996.
André Pires Godinho, 8 March 2003
The flag is green with a yellow chevron extending from the hoist, and with the municipal arms on a white diamond inside the chevron.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 24 January 2013
Santa Barbara d'Oeste was founded by Margarida da Graça Martins, Francisco de Paula Martins's widow, who purchased a domain located on the new road linking Piracicaba to Campinas and limited by rivers Piracicaba in the north and Quilombo in northeast. A sugar mill was built in 1817. A chapel dedicated to St. Barbara was erected on 4 December 1818, which is considered as the date of foundation of the town. From 1867 onwards, the area was settled by survivors from the American Civil War, who brought new cropping methods. In 1877, João Frederico Rehder acquired the São Pedro Estate from Prudente de Moraes, where he initiated large-scale sugarcane cultivation., establishing in 1883 the first big sugar mill in the municipality and, six years later, a distillery. The sugar factory, subsequently owned by the Cia. Industrial e Agrícola Santa Bárbara, was inaugurated on 25 July 1914.
Santa Barbara d'Oeste is the birth town of the swimmer César Cielo
Filho (b. 1987), men's 50 m freestyle gold medalist and 100 m
freestyle bronze medalist in Beijing Olympics (2008), and 50 m
freestyle bronze medalist in London Olympics (2012).
http://www.cesarcielo.com.br/home - Personal website
The flag of Santa Barbara d'Oeste is green with a yellow chevron placed horizontally and a white square diamond, charged with the municipal coat of arms, placed close to the hoist.
Photos of the flag
The coat of arms of Santa Barbara d'Oeste is "Vert a chevron or surrounded by two ploughs of the same, in chief an escutcheon argent a Cross of the Order of Christ surrounded by two wheels or in base a sword pointing upwards or. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported by two sugarcanes proper. Beneath the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the Latin motto 'SANCTA BARBARA BENE JUVANTE' in letters gules."
The mural crown is the symbol of a municipality, evoking the Kingdom
The wheels represent industry.
The escutcheon symbolizes the discoverers of Brazil and the Christian
origin of the people.
The ploughs recall the tradition saying that Santa Barbara d'Oeste was
the first place in Brazil where iron ploughs were used.
The sword, in Roman style from the 3rd century, symbolizes the heroism
and martyr of St. Barbara, recalling also that Santa Barbara d'Oeste
is the only town in Brazil founded by a woman - Margarida da Graça
The sugarcanes represent the main crop in the municipality.
The motto reads "Under St. Barbara's protection".
http://www.santabarbara.sp.gov.br/v4/index.php?pag=brasao&dir=cidade - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 26 January 2013
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.