Last modified: 2012-12-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | jau | gyronny: 6 (blue | white | red) | eagle | trees | fish | disk (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Blas Delgado Ortiz
The multicolor flag of this municipality in its full glory, information, and the coat of arms
can be seen at official municipal website.
Dov Gutterman, 4 July 2001
The flag is gyronny of six, blue, white and red (going clockwise from the
top), with yellow stripes dividing the six fields. The coat of arms is
placed on a yellow disk in the center. The coat of arms is blue, with a red
jahu ( a fish from which the river where the city is located took its name)
on a wavy silver stripe. Above the stripe is a silver eagle, armed and
membered red, holding in its talons a gold airplane propeller inscribed
“JAHU,” the name of the Brazilian seaplane that crossed the Atlantic from
Genoa to Santo Amaro, São Paulo, in 1927. The commander of the flight was a
native of Jaú, of which Jahu is the old spelling. The shield is flanked by
a pear tree and a coffee plant. The motto reads Ibica re ig. I don’t
know what language this is or what it means.
Joseph McMillan, 18 March 2003
Official website at
http://www.jau.sp.gov.br. The flag is shown on the official site at
Dirk Schönberger, 27 November 2012
Jaú is named for a big fish locally called "jaú", caught by pioneers; the place of the catch was called Barra do Ribeirão do Jaú. On 15 August 1853, some settlers of the area decided to establish a new settlement, on pieces of land offered by Francisco Gomes Botão and Manoel Joaquim Lopes. The parish of Jaú, part of the municipality of Brotas, was established on 24 March 1859 by Law No. 11. The municipality of Jaú was established on 6 February 1889 by Law No. 6.
Photos of the flag:
Ivan Sache, 1 December 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.