Last modified: 2013-07-19 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | campos do jordao | cross (red) | saltire (red) | coat of arms |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 23 October 2012
Campos do Jordão is a city in the east of São Paulo State. At http://www.netvale.com.br/cjordao/bandeira.htm all you can find is this:
"The city flag was created in 1960 by Arcinóe Antônio Peixoto de Faria and hoisted for the first time in 1969 in Praça da Bandeira (Flag Square)."Dov Gutterman
The source of the image is
citybrazil.com.br. The flag is black with a Union-Jack-style cross
and saltire in red bordered with white. The coat of arms, on a white rectangle on the center,
has a silver field with three araucaria pines on a red base.
Joseph McMillan, 24 August 2002
Campos do Jordão, nicknamed the "Brazilian Swiss", is one of the most popular winter resorts in the country. The development of the resort was boosted in 1914 with the inauguration of the railway station. The building of hotels, mostly in European mountain style, started in the 1920s. In 1957, the World Congress of Climatology held in Paris declared the climate of Campos do Jordão "the best in the world", even surpassing the Alpine resorts of Davos (Switzerland) and Chamonix (France). Campos do Jordão is named for Brigadier Manoel Rodrigues Jordão, a hero of the national independence who acquired on 27 November 1825 the place known as Campos ("Fields").
The flag of Campos do Jordão, designed by Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 793 of 2 May 1960. It was hoisted for the first time on 29 April 1969 on the Flag Square; the first copy of the flag was made by Campos do Jordão's Lions Club. The flag is divided into eight triangular quarters by a red cross and saltire fimbriated white. In the middle is placed a white rectangle charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The white rectangle represents the town as the seat of the municipality, while the coat of arms represents the municipal government. Green is a symbol of honour, courtesy, civility, joy and abundance; it symbolizes also hope, as the fields greening in spring promise profuse harvest. White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity and purity Red is a symbol of patriotic feeling, dedication, audacity, liberation, valour, intrepidity, courage and valiance. The proportions of the flag are 14 units x 20 units. The rectangle is located 4 units from the [horizontal] borders of the flag.
The coat of arms of Campos do Jordão, designed by Salvador Thaumaturgo, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 251 of 1 January 1959. "Portuguese, rounded-off shield, argent a mantel gules in base three araucarias issuant vert. The shield surmounted by a mural crown or. Below the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the toponym 'CAMPOS DO JORDÁO' surrounded by the years '1874' and '1934', all sable."
The Portuguese shield and the use of the laws of Portuguese heraldry
recall the Lusitanian inheritance.
Argent is a symbol of purity and benignity, which make of Campos do
Jordão one of the most famous places in the country.
The red triangle represents the elevation of the municipality, one of
the highest in the country. Red represents the fertility of the soil
and the daily struggle of the inhabitants for progress.
The three araucarias dominate the local flora; moreover, the Brazilian
araucarias are among the most beautiful trees in the word. The three
araucarias are related to Ignácio Caetano Vieira de Carvalho's legend
[the founder in 1773 of the Bom Sucesso Estate is said to have lived
there for 20 years alone with his tow sons; his treasure, buried under
three old araucarias, is still a matter of lust] ; the araucaria was
proclaimed the official municipal tree on 15 July 1981 by Municipal
Law No. 1,264.
The mural crown represents the municipal power.
The scroll is charged with the years of foundation of the settlement
and of establishment of the municipality, respectively.
Photos of the flag:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lumakimura/6003148487 - 10 July 2011
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60153518@N00/14313484 - 7 April 2005
[An early source reporting the flag with a black field was, obviously, erroneous. Peixoto de Faria does not use black fields on his flags while combinations of green fields with red and white crosses or stripes are common in his work. The green colour is explicitly mentioned in the description of the flag. On the photo, the coat of arms appears with a gray, not white, background and scroll. Therefore, the correct image of the flag should be either Joe's image with the field recoloured in green or Dirk's image with the white parts of the shield recoloured in grey. The erroneous image should be discarded to prevent further spread of inaccurate information.]
The Municipal Councillor José Matos da Costa (elected "Best Councillor
in São Paulo State" in 2003 and "Best Councillor in Brazil" in 2004)
tabled on 24 May 2011 Bill No. 51l for the adoption of the flag of
Vila Santo Antonio, a borough of the municipality of Campos do Jordão.
The flag is diagonally divided blue-white per bend celeste. The name
of the borough is written in red capital letters in the white field,
along the diagonal, the top of the letters touching the blue field.
"AMPOS DO JORDÁO - SP" is written in smaller green capital letters at
the bottom of the flag. The white field is charged with a green leaf
of plane tree, while the blue field is charged with a similar, but
http://matosvereadordopovo.blogspot.fr - José Matos da Costa's blog
Ivan Sache, 4 November 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.