Last modified: 2008-08-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | campinas | phoenix |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Joseph McMillan
Official municipal website
Joseph McMillan, 6 February 2001
The municipal coat of arms was created by Ricardo Gumbleton Daunt, better
known as Dr. Ricardo, and was approved on 30 December 1889. The bird on
the center of the coat of arms is the phoenix,
representing the recovery of Campinas after the epidemic of yellow fever
that decimated a large part of the city. The mural crown placed above the
shield is said to represent the strength and vigor of the city. In base, the
scroll shows the phrase Labor Virtude Civitas
Floret (In work and virtue the city flourishes). On the sides are a branch
of sugar cane and one of coffee, symbolizing the pillars of Campinas'
economy. The flag was also created by Dr. Ricardo, approved on 16 June 1961
by law no. 2523, and promulgated 10 days later by then-Prefect Miguel
Vicente Cury. According to its creator, the white field represents purity,
the shield and blue letters loyalty, and the yellow wealth. As in the coat
of arms, the phoenix represents the immortality of the city, capable of
being reborn from the ashes of the difficulties through which it passes.
Joseph McMillan, 22 March 2002
Dr. Ricardo Daunt was a Scot who set up residence in Campinas
and died in the early 20th century. He created the coat of arms in 1889 and the city began using it.
However, it only became official in 1961.
James Rezende Piton, 25 April 2003