Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | rio dos cedros |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 28 July 2012
The municipality of Rio dos Cedros (11,676 inhabitants in 2019; 55,565 ha) is
located 200 km north-west of Florianópolis. The municipality is composed of the
districts of Rio dos Cedros (seat) and Cedro Alto.
Rio dos Cedros was colonized in 1875 by Italian immigrants and Austrians, who planted grapevine and produced wine. The district of Encruzilhada was established within Blumenau in 1916 and transferred on 28 February 1934 to the new municipality of Timbó. The district was renamed to Arrozeira by State Decree-Law No. 941 promulgated on 31 February 1943.
The municipality of Rio dos Cedros was established by State Law No. 793 promulgated on 19 December 1961 and inaugurated on 28 December 1961.
Ivan Sache, 5 November 2021
Gyronny of green and white, with the municipal shield in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 28 July 2012
The flag of Rio dos Cedros is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 163
promulgated on 18 October 1975.
The municipal flag, in compliance with the best Luso-Brazilian heraldic tradition, has the following rationale.
I - Gyronny, the flag's quadrilateral field is divided into eight equal parts shaped like right-angled triangles, each named gyron, by four rectilinear lines crossing each other in the center, two of them connecting the quadrilateral's angles, the two other vertical and horizontal, both equidistant from the flag's edges.
II - Vert and white, considering that the colors of an armored flag shall be the basic colors of the featured municipal arms, in the blazon's natural order, vert (green, in the shade known as Veronese green), argent, and gules (light red). Argent, on the flags, is usually substituted by white, which matches it on the heraldic chromatic scale. Accordingly, the upper gyron, at hoist, shall be green, followed by a white gyron, and so on.
III - The coat of arms of the municipality, prescribed by Law No. 161. promulgated on 27 September 1975, shall be placed in the flag's center, its outer ornaments (mural crown and scroll) omitted, therefore restricted to the shield proper, described in heraldic terms as "A Portuguese shield, vert a pallet argent two fesses gules bretessed of three pieces and two half pieces in chief a roundel gules charged with a fleur-de-lis argent. A bordure chequered argent and vert. On the shield, argent shall be substituted by white.
IV - Bordered sable, meaning that the shield's field shall be outlined by a black line.
V - Placed in the flag's center, concealing the intersection of the lines that form the gyronny.
The coat of arms of Rio dos Cedros, designed by the heraldist Edison Muller, from Blumenau, has the follinwg blazon: Vert a pallet argent two fesses gules bretessed of three pieces and two half pieces in chief a roundel gules charged with a fleur-de-lis argent. A bordure chequered argent and vert. The shield surmounted by a four-towered mural crown.
The pale represents the municipality's river basin, namely Rio dos Cedros (Cedars' River) flowing north-south in a very fertile region composed of green fields.
The two fesses bretessed, looking like the walls of medieval castles, represents the Pinhal and Rio Bonito barrages built by CELESC.
Th fleur-de-lis recalls the traditional religion of the immigrants who settled Rio dos Cedros, alluding to a specific historical event: the building of small chapels dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, which "dotted" the colonial lines, around which successively emerged the laborious communities that forged the community's greatness. It also recalls the proper patron saint of Rio dos Cedros, Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, who guides and protects all inhabitants.
The squares forming the shield's bordure symbolize Rio dos Cedros' agricultural resources, especially the square plots for rice cultivation at the origin of the main settlements.
The mural crown surmounting the shield is the proper and consecrated emblem, in Brazil, of municipal seats. It represents the town proper considered on the example of medieval towns surrounded by protecting walls.
Ivan Sache, 5 November 2021