Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | são borja |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 4 August 2020
The municipality of São Borja (61,671 inhabitants in 2010; 361,670 ha) is
located 500 km north-west of Porto Alegre.
São Borja was established by the Jesuits in 1682, as the first of the Seven Missions' Settlements.
São Borja is known as the Town of the Two Presidents, as the birth town of Getúlio Dornelles Vargas (18!2-1954, President of the Republic from 1930 to 1945 and 1951 to 1954) and of João Goulart (1918-1976, President of the Republic from 1961 to 1964).
Ivan Sache, 4 August 2020
A white flag bearing the
Dirk Schönberger, 29 March 2012
The flag of São Borja is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 690 promulgated on
20 May 1972.
The flag of the municipality of São Borja is the symbol of the people's historic, political and religious traditions.
§1. The flag of the municipality of São Borja shall be rectangular, with the following characteristics
a) To be used on a mast, 1.35 m x 1.95 m
b) To be used in parades, 0.90 m x 1.30 m.
§3. The color of the flag of the municipality of São Borja shall be white, as a symbol of integration and unity, charged in the center with the coat of arms as prescribed by Law No. 381 promulgated on 13 November 1962 [...].
§4. The municipal flag is charged with the writing "Capital da Produção", in black letters, in a circular pattern, placed beneath the coat of arms.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of São Borja is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 381 promulgated on 13 November 1962.
A Portuguese shield; in chief [dexter], on a field gules (red) a patriarchal cross or, recalling the historic origin of the municipality located in the Missions' Region, the evangelizing work by the Jesuits and of the people's Christian education; in counter-chief [sinister], on a field or, a liberty cap gules (red) inscribed in base "13/01/1988", recalling the republican propaganda exerted in parallel of the slaves' liberation movement, through one of the earliest Republican Clubs in Brazil, which culminated with the plebiscite motion tabled by Councillor Aparício Mariense da Silva and approved at this date by the Municipal Chamber - the first unofficial and positive manifestation of emerging republicanism, which had an extraordinary resonance all over the country; [grafted] in base, on a field green (vert), waves argent in the lower half, symbolizing the municipality's fertile land and agriculture developed on it, and river Uruguai, a watercourse that played a prominent role in the town's historic and economic foundation.
Behind the shield, crossed in diagonal, proper, two indigenous lances and two old cavalry lances, recalling the presence and heroism of the people of São Borja in great local and national military events and the contribution of Indians to the local society. Beneath the shield a scroll gules (red) inscribed in black "1682 SÃO BORJA 1834", the years of foundation of São Francisco de Borja, the town's original cell, and of its elevation to the rank of "cidade".
The shield surmounted by a four-towered mural crown argent.
TGL Blog 3.0, 1 April 2012
The flag in use lacks the writing "Capital da Produção" beneath the coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 4 August 2020