Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | paraíso do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 2 August 2020
The municipality of Paraíso do Sul (7,336 inhabitants in 2010; 34,100 ha) is
located 220 km of Porto Alegre and 60 km of Santa Maria. The municipality is
composed of the districts of Paraíso do Sul (seat) and Rincão da Porta.
Paraíso do Sul was settled in 1857 by German colonists coming from East Pomerania. Baron Von Kahlden (1831-1910), appointed by the provincial governor to organize the plot set up in the "dedicated lands", is reported by Rohde to have coined the place's name as follows: "When opening the first trail that started from Agudo and crossed Teutônia, and reaching the top of the hill named Zitronenberg (Limes' Hill), Kohlden said 'Das ist wirklich ein Paradies' (This is an ultimate paradise)."
The municipality of Paraíso do Sul was established by State Law No. 8,622 promulgated on 12 May 1988, separating from Cachoeira do Sul, and inaugurated on 1 January 1989.
Ivan Sache, 2 August 2020
Divided by a north-south diagonal per bend sinister, blue and green, with the
municipal arms in a white disk in the centre, and a white southern cross in the
Dirk Schönberger, 6 March 2012
The flag of Paraíso do Sul is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 44 promulgated on
3 May 1990. The flag was designed by Gládis Lüdtke Hoppe, winner of a public
contest organized by the municipality.
On the center of a rectangle of 14 on 20 units, like the national flag, is placed a white circle, symbol of peace. The diameter of the circle of 8 units.
The coat of arms of the municipality is placed in the center of the white circle.
The Southern Cross, indicating the localization of the municipality in the south of the country, is placed in the upper left canton.
The rectangle's upper part is blue, in the shade used on the coat of arms, while its lower part is green, also in the shade used on the coat of arms.
The parts formed this way are of 5 units in lesser base and 15 units in greater base.
The Southern Cross is placed in the blue part, which symbolizes the sky. Green represents the municipal's vivid natural environment.
The coat of arms of Paraíso do Sul is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 25 promulgated on 13 September 1989. The coat of arms was designed by Célia Rohde, winner of a public contest organized by the municipality.
The shield is divided into two parts by a gray stripe that symbolizes road RS509, which offers an easy access to the municipality from most parts of the state.
The red heart represents more than a star shining in Rio Grande do Sul's heart.
The first field, in the upper left part, features the hills from which the German colonists spotted a vast, beautiful plain they called Paradise [Paraíso]. The apple-tree symbolizes paradise.
The second field, on the right, features the Poço Verde waterfall, which represents for the future a great tourism potential. It also features stream Porta, a tributary of river Jacuí, which significantly contributes to the municipality's progress. In base, a tribute to the brave farmers.
The shield is surrounded by tobacco leaves and rice panicles, symbolizing the main crops.
The shield is surmounted by a crown, symbol of the elevation to the rank of "cidade". Beneath the shield, a white scroll inscribed with the municipality's name and date of creation.
Image after the municipal website
Ivan Sache, 2 August 2020