Last modified: 2020-08-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | osório |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 1 August 2020
The municipality of Osório (44,190 inhabitants in 2016; 666,327 ha) is
located 100 km north-east of Pörto Alegre. The main town in northern coastal Rio
Grande do Sul, Osório is known as Lagoon's City due to its network of 23
lagoons. Osório is also known as Good Wind's City; constant wind allowed the
establishment of the Osório Wind Farm, the 2nd most powerful in Latin America
and the 3rd worldwide.
Osório was established as Conceição do Arroio, a municipality formed on 16 December 1857, separating from Santo Antônio da Patrulha. The municipality was renamed to Osório in 1934, as a tribute to the local hero, Marshal Manoel Luiz Osório, Protector of the Brazilian Cavalry.
Marshal Osório (1808-1879), aka "O Legendário" (The Legendary). joined the Imperial army aged 15. As the commander of squadrons, regiments and armies, he was involved in several war events, fighting in the War of Independence, the Cisplatine War and the War of the Triple Alliance. Commanding the 2nd Cavalry Regiment during the battle of Monte Caseros, fought on 3 February 1852, he was able to break the enemy's defence lines.
A vertically tricolour, green-white-red, with the municipal arms in the
Dirk Schönberger, 4 March 2012
The flag of Osório is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,863 promulgated on 31
The flag of the municipality shall have the following characteristics: three rectangles of equal size, arranged vertically, the inner, green, the outer, red, and the central, white, charged in the center with the coat of arms of the municipality prescribed by Law No. 545 promulgated on 3 August 1959 as a tribute to the first centenary of emancipation, obtained on 6 December 1957.
Green represents the fields and forests, as the municipality's ecological balance. Red represents the people's pride, tenacity and commitment to work. White represents the people's message of peace and hope.
The features of the municipal flag shall obey the following rules.
I. The flag's width is 14 units.
II. The flag's length is 20 units.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Osório is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 545 promulgated on 3 August 1959.
A Portuguese shield surmounted by a yellow crown pierced by the sword of the legendary General Osório. Beneath, a blue rectangle charged in the center with a white seahorse surrounded by two starfishes, white with black stripes. In the rectangle's upper part, a circle with 14 yellow rays. In continuation, with an oval end, a green geometric sector; beneath the rectangle, in the center of the oval sector, a small orange shield charged with an oxen's head, surrounded sinister by a sugarcane panicle and dexter by a rice panicle. In capital letters, on a semi-circular geometric shape forming a red stripe with sinuous ends, the writing in capital letters "GLÓRIA E PROSPERIDADE".
The coat of arms was established as a tribute to the First Centenary of political emancipation, obtained on 16 December 1957.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 1 August 2020