Last modified: 2020-07-31 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | mato castelhano |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020
The municipality of Mato Castelhano (2,571 inhabitants in 2016; 23,836 ha) is
located 300 km north of Porto Alegre.
Mato Castelhano was settled in 1900 by the Italian immigrants João, Carlos and Sílvio Manfroi and Severino Loss, who exploited Brazilian pine and mate. They were joined much later by the Tussi, Loss, Amorose, Rosseto, Novello, Stieven, Grando, and Saggiorato families, originating from Antonio Prado and Garibaldi. More Italian colonists came from Garibaldi, including Jorge Manfroi, whose family offered in 1923 a plot to build a school.
Uncontrolled exploitation of Brazilian pines fostered the set up of a forest reserve, established in 1947 on 1,340 hectares by the Pine Institute, today the Passo Fundo National Forest and Chico Mendes Conservation Institute.
The municipality of Mato Castelhano was established by State Law No. 9,645 promulgated on 31 March 1992. separating from Passo Fundo.
Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020
The flag of Mato Castelhano is horizontally divided blue-red-green (1:2:1),
charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms placed on a white
rectangle fitting on the red stripe.
The coat of arms of Mato Castelhano is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 8 promulgated on 22 January 1993.
A shield horizontally divided into two parts, surmounted by a three-towered crown or, separated from the shield. The shield's upper part features, on a white field, on the right, in the background the forest reserve from which emerge three mate plants proper and a black "monjolo" [primitive hydraulic machine] representing the primitive mate industry; on the left, a blue lake representing the river Capimguí barrage. In the lower, on a celestial blue background are featured the symbols of industry and commerce in the municipality, left a brick stake proper; right, a black factory with a smoking chimney and an orange [indeed, yellow] cog wheel; in the foreground, representing cattle-breeding on a green field, a bovine, a pig, a sheep and a poultry animal, all black. The shield supported on the right by a maize plant proper with four cobs, five leaves and a flower, on the left by a soybean plant proper with seven pods and three leaves [indeed surmounted by a wheat spike]. Beneath the shield a yellow scroll inscribed in black "31-03 MATO CASTELHANO - RS 1992".
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020