Last modified: 2020-07-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | itaara |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020
The municiplity of Itaara (5,010 inhabitants in 2010; 17,240 ha) is located 300
km of Porto Alegre.
Itaara was settled in 1857 by the Germans Jacob Albrecht, Jacob Adami and Miguel Kroeff, who acquired plots from the surgeon Meanoel Alves. The parish of São José do Pinhal was established on 21 May 1882. In 1904, the banker Maurice Hirsh acquired plots from Emília Pereira Santos and Camilo Barcelos, parts of the domain owned by Colonel João Batista de Oliveira Melo, initiating a second colonization period in Otaara and the first Jewish colonization in Brazil, by immigrants coming from Bessarabia. The settlement was named Colônia Philippson, as a tribute to Franz Philippson, administrator of the Jewish Colonization Association.
The municipality of Itaara was established by State Law No. 10,643 promulgated on 28 December 1995, and inaugurated on 1 January 1997.
Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020
The flag and arms of Itaara are prescribed by Municipal Law No.
50 promulgated on 29 August 1997.
The coat of arms of the municipality features dexter a field azure with a sun or in the center surmounting mountains and Brazilian pines vert crossed by a fess argent.
The descriptive memoir and the graphic art of the coat of arms are part of this Law.
1. General heraldic description
The coat of arms of the municipality of Itaara - RS, in Italo-Germanic style, features dexter a field azure with a sun or in chief, superimposed by mountains and Brazilian pines vert, and crossed by a fess argent.
The division between the chief and dexter is a fess serrated azure superimposed with another sable. From the chief to sinister a field azure surmounted by serrated lines azure superimposed by a triangle argent surmounted by two brown hands holding soybean grain and pods vert and or. All outlined sable.
The supporters are maize cobs, wheat spikes, bunches of grapes and soybean pods or, vert and azure, outlined sable.
The scroll harmoniously enlaces the supporters, gules, sable and argent with the toponym "1837 Itaara 1995".
The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent, gules and sable.
2. Color heraldic description
Or (yellow): Represents work resources.
Azure (blue): Represents wisdom.
Argent (silver) : Represents the mystery of faith.
Vert (green): Represents life, nature and hope.
Gules (red): Represents justice and power.
Sable (black): Represents prudence and protection.
The flag of the municipality of Itaara - RS is composed of 14 units on 20 units, its colors divided in diagonal stripes; in chief, a sky blue stripe, sinister, a white stripe: 6.5 units, a red stripe: 7,3 units, and a yellow, 6.3 units. In vertical, at sinister point, from top to bottom, white: 3.8 units, green: 5.1 units and yellow, 5.1 units. In vertical dimension from top to the white stripe 7 units in width, white to the sinister stripe 7 units and from the chief's horizontal to sinister point zero, blue, white from vertical to sinister 7 units and red 7 units.
The drawing attached to the Law is required to decypher the description, which does not match it - there is no yellow stripe and no green either.
The flag appears to be diagonally divided celestial blue-white-red, the white stripe covering one half of the flag, with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Leis Municipais database
Image from the municipal website.
Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020