Last modified: 2020-07-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | coronel pilar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 31
The municipality of Coronel Pilar (1,725 inhabitants in 2010; 10,450 ha) is
located 130 km of Porto Alegre and 20 km of Garibaldi.
Coronel Pilar was settled in 1877 by Italian immigrants coming from the Cremona, Bergamo, Milan, Vicenza and Trento province, who settled plot No. 60, locally known as Sessanta (Italian for "Sixty"). Among the first settlers was Francesco Baruffi, father of 17 children, a veteran from the struggle for Italian unification, who designed the altar, the pavement and the windows of the first wooden church.
Coronel Pilar was elevated on 29 December 1944 to the 3rd district of Garibaldi. The municipality of Coronel Pilar was established by State Law No. 10,744 promulgated on 16 April 1996, and inaugurated on 1 January 2001.
The town's namesake, the Republican Colonel Fabrício Pilar, was killed in 1894 during the struggle against the Federalists.
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2020
The flag of Coronel Pilar is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 50 promulgated
on 5 September 2001.
The flag of the municipality of Coronel Pilar shall have for official colors green, wine and yellow, and shall be composed of three panels, inspired by the format of the flag of Rio Grande do Sul and the colors of the flags of Brazil, Italy and Portugal, representing:
a) Green (vert) is the symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee, abundance and hope; green also represents the mountains and the greening fields promising profuse harvests.
b) Winey is the symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance, and also of grape and wine production in the municipality.
b) Golden yellow is the symbol of royalty, celebrity, splendor, command, force and wealth.
The flag shall obey the following rules.
I. The flag is composed of three panels: green, wine and yellow usual shades.
II. The flag's width shall be of 14 units.
III. The flag's length shall be of 20 units.
IV. The coat of arms shall be of 7 units in width, leaving 3 units in the upper part and 3 units in the lower part. It is inscribed in a white circle of 3.5 units.
V. The flag shall have three panels: green, winey and yellow in usual shades, green and yellow forming right-angles triangles and winey an ascending quadrilateral between the two triangles, the right angle of the green triangle being at the flag's left top and the right angle of the yellow triangle at the flag's right bottom.
VI. The minor side of the green right-angled triangle, in left top, shall measure exactly 7 units, the same is true for the minor side of the yellow triangle, in right bottom.
VII. Equally, the minor sides of the ascending quadrilateral, winey, between the aforementioned right-angled triangles, shall measure 7 units.
VIII. The flag shall feature in the center the municipal coat of arms on a white panel.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Coronel Pilar is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 49 promulgated on 5 September 2001.
Innovating shield shaped like a mate calabash, representing Gaúcha, Riograndense and Mercosul cultures, surmounted by a mural crown or with six towers, four visible. In the center a field vert (green) symbolizing mountains, fields, ecology and agriculture, that is, the region's geography. On this field, in base (bottom) two stylized chickens representing the potential of aviculture in the municipality. In the center on the green field the St. Lawrence Martyr church, symbolizing religious feeling and historical heritage. In chief dexter the symbol of handshake, as a tribute to union that consecrated political emancipation. Sinister, a bunch of grapes, as the symbol of vitiviniculture, immigration and colonization. As supporters of the shield, plants proper, dexter (wheat) and sinister (maize). Beneath the shield a scroll, green, yellow and winey, containing in black the toponym "CORONEL PILAR" surrounded by date "15/10/1875", the historical date of colonization. Beneath, "16/04/1996", day, month and year of creation of the municipality. Between the scroll and the shield, three gems representing the marking and rank of a colonel, to recall the origin of the name of the municipality.
The coat of arms described above has the following symbolic interpretation:
a) The innovative shield shaped like a mate calabash, adopted to represent the arms of Coronel Pilar, originates from South Brazil and was spread all over the continent to illustrate the cultural manifestation and habit to drink mate. Also adopted by other nations, especially to represent coats of arms of domains and eventually adopted by Brazilian heraldry, it evokes one of the colonizing races and builder of the nation.
b) The crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of coat of arms of domains; golden (or) with six towers, four visible in perspective, it classifies the town as of third rank or municipal seat.
c) White is a symbol of peace, friendship, integration, work and community harmony.
d) The green (vert) base refers to the mountains and fields of the South, which form the municipality's geography. Green is the symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee, abundance and hope; green also represents the mountains and the greening fields promising profuse harvests.
e) In chief sinister, a bunch of grapes as the symbol of immigration, colonization and food industry. it also represents the manpower of the municipality's colonists and farmers, as well as the present-day and future development of this industry and all those related. On its side is represented union, solidarity, friendship and persistence of the community during political emancipation, through a handshake.
f) In the shield's center, on the green field, the St. Lawrence Martyr church symbolizes the municipality's priority, to foster and favor the population's religious, cultural and educational evolution. In the foreground, two chickens highlight a powerful source of income for Coronel Pïlar.
g) Between the scroll and the shield, three gems of the Brazilian Army, gold, blue and white, representing the marking and rank of a colonel to recall the origin of the name of the municipality.
h) The outer ornaments proper represent the main products of the generous and fertile soil, maize, the symbol of colonization, and wheat, the most distinguished sector of production in the region.
i) On a red (gules) scroll in black letters the identifying toponym "CORONEL PILAR" surrounded by years "1875", beginning of immigration. Beneath the name, "16/04/1996", day, month and year of creation of the municipality.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms features the town's landmark, the big (600 m2) St. Lawrence Martyr church. The church's cornerstone was laid on 1 January 1944 in the presence of José Barea, first Bishop of Caxias do Sul (1935-1951); it took another 15 years to the inhabitants to complete the building, until the church blessed on 10 August 1959.
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2020