Last modified: 2020-07-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | chuvisca |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 14 July 2020
The municipality of Chuvisca (4,874 inhabitants; 21,600 ha) is located 160 km
of Porto Alegre and 160 km of Pelotas.
Chuvisca emerged at the end of the 19th century as a meeting point for colonists traveling between Dom Feliciano and Camaquã. A shed was built as a protection from the typical local drizzles ("chuvisqueiros"); the name Chuvisca was coined in 1954.
The municipality of Chuvisca was established by State Law No. 1,063 promulgated on 28 December 1995, and inaugurated on 1 January 1997.
Municipal Chamber website
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2020
The flag and arms of Chuvisca are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 50 promulgated
in 1997. The symbols were designed by architect Roberto Scislewski with the
support of drawer Paulo Ronaldo Borges, who designed the sower.
The municipal flag has for official colors blue and red, separated by a yellow diagonal stripe outlined in green, charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms inscribed in a white disc.
Red is a symbol of the people's empowerment and their commitment to increasing progress.
Dark blue is a symbol of the sky, harboring a star representing the new municipality. It also represents the immensity that unites the municipality, the state and the country.
Yellow is a symbol of the socio-economical potential of Chuvisca and of good harvests.
Green (outlining yellow) is a symbol of the power of the regional environment.
The star (white) represents the birth of a municipality, symbolically shining in Rio Grande do Sul's sky.
The coat of arms has a classical shape, also called Portuguese, as a tribute to the Portuguese colonists.
The crown, or is a traditional symbol of power, which offers protection to the inhabitants and the territory, characterizing Chuvisca as an official seat.
The tobacco plants, on both sides of the shield, represent the municipality's main source of income.
The rain drops (white on a celestial blue background), symbolize the natural environment and the origin of the municipality's name (lit. "Drizzle").
The sun, golden yellow, raises from the horizon and spread its rays, symbolizing everyone's force and aspiration to the municipality's growth and development.
The green relief characterizes the mountainous region and symbolizes the municipality's hilly surface.
The sower symbolizes immigrants and farmers, work and search for new land, as well as concern for ecology, control of erosion and pollution, struggle against monoculture and aspiration to maintain subsistence cropping.
The black, red and yellow colors recall the contribution of German immigrants to the establishment of the municipality, as well as their cultural and religious idiosyncrasy.
The red and white colors recall the contribution of Polish immigrants to the establishment of the municipality and their heritage.
The branch of white lily is the symbol of St. Joseph, the municipality's patron saint, and of the erection of the St. Joseph Chapel in 1937. The white lily is also the municipality's symbolic flower.
The book is a symbol of education and culture, which are factors essential for the development of the municipality. They also symbolize religion, from which come the precepts that govern the community that organizes and maintains religious doctrines.
The central white stripe symbolizes the union of all the elements to integration and peace. It also represents integration of all colors without prejudice of belief, race or political ideology.
The scroll or, beneath the shield, provides the municipality's name and date of establishment, as prescribed by Law No. 1,063 promulgated on 28 December 1995.
14 July 2020