Last modified: 2012-04-13 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | carlos gomes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 19
The white flag with three round-bottomed diagonal bars and the municipal arms placed centrally on a white disk.
Official website is at
Dirk Schönberger, 19 January 2012
The municipality of Carlos Gomes (1,607 inhabitants in 2010; 83 sq. km) is located in northwestern Rio Grande do Sul, 400 km of Porto Alegre.
Carlos Gomes was settled in 1907 by colonists of Polish origin, coming from São Marcos, Bento Gonçalves, Veranópolis, Guaporé, Garibaldi and Alfredo Chaves. The colony was first named Sede dos Polacos (The Poles' Seat), then Rio do Peixe (Fish River) and eventually Ribeirão Torto (Crooked Creek). Renamed Nova Polônia (New Poland) in 1935, the settlement was established a "vila", seat of a district of the municipality of Erechim, by Municipal Law No. 125 of 31 October 1935. Renamed in 1944 Carlos Gomes for the famous local band that used to play tunes composed by Carlos Gomes*, the place was made in 1955 a district of the newly established municipality of Gaurama. In 1959, Carlos Gomes became the seat of the newly established municipality of Viadutos. The municipality of Carlos Gomes was established by State Law No. 9,540 of 20 March 1992, after a plebiscite held on 10 November 1991, and inaugurated on 1 January 1993.
* Antônio Carlos Gomes (1836-1896) was a Brazilian opera composer. His opera "Il Guarany" was played in 1870 in La Scala theater in Milan. Compared to Verdi and Rossini, Gomes was the first composer from the New World accepted in Europe. Back to Brazil, Gomes refused to compose the anthem of the new Republic, remaining faithful to the monarchy.
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.