Last modified: 2020-07-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | capão da canoa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
The municipality of Capão da Canoa (47,792 inhabitants; 9,710 ha) is located
140 km of Porto Alegre. Capão da Canoa is famous for its 11 beaches which
stretch on nearly 19 km. The municipality is composed of the districts of Capão
da Canoa (seat), Capão Novo, Arroio Teixeira and Curumim.
Capão da Canoa emerged around 1900, as Arroio de Pescaria, settled mostly by fishermen and adventurers. In the 1920s, descendants of German and Italian colonists of the mountains and Porto Alegre started to spend the summer season on the seashore. The place was renamed to Capão da Canoa at the time. The name, already used for a nearby domain owned by the famous Nunes family, was extended to the beach.
Cornélios, including Vila de Capão da Canoa, was elevated the 6th district of Osório by Act No. 73 issued on 1 February 1933. The district seat was transferred in 1952 from Cornélios to Vila de Capão da Canoa. The municipality of Capão da Canoa was established by State Law No. 7,638 promulgated on 12 April 1982, and inaugurated on 31 January 1983.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
Official website is at
Dirk Schönberger, 15 January 2012
The flag of Capão da Canoa is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 85 promulgated on
10 August 1984.
The official dimensions are 14 units in width on 20 units in length, that is 113 cm in width on 161 cm in length, identical to the national flag.
The colors of the flag are those of the municipal coat of arms, also the official colors of the municipality of Capão da Canoa: celestial blue, Chinese red, titanium white, lemon yellow, natural orange, ultramarine blue, and black.
The flag is composed of the municipal coat of arms and of two blocks of four horizontal stripes each.
The flag includes, from left to right, a block of four horizontal stripes, Chinese red, covering units 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 in width and 5 units in length.
The coat of arms, celestial blue, ultramarine blue, Chinese red, natural orange, lemon yellow, titaneum white and black, covers units 3 to 12 in width and 6 to 11 in length.
Units 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 in width and 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 units in length form the other block of horizontal stripes, in celestial blue.
The stripes in the blocks are separated by 1/5 unit from each other.
All the other parts of the flag are titaneum white.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Capão da Canoa is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 79 promulgated on 20 June 1984.
The upper part of the coat of arms features a 23-rayed sun surmounting the shield. Inside the shield are represented four elements, each one in a respective quadrant. From left to right: in the first quadrant a mate gourd in front of a wooden wall; in the second quadrant, a dolphin in the sea; in the lower left quadrant, a sail reflecting in the sea; in the fourth and last quadrant, a trowel in front of a brick wall. In the shield's center a seagull. Beneath the four quadrants two sea waves surround the central symbol, extending beneath the name "Capão de Canoa". A smaller wave emphasizes the coat of arms' final punctuating.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.