Last modified: 2020-07-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | capão bonito do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
The municipality of Capão Bonito do Sul (1,754 inhabitants in 2010; 52,700
ha) is located 220 km north of Porto Alegre. The municipality is composed of the
districts of Capão Bonito do Sul (seat) and Barretos (est. by Municipal Law No.
29 promulgated on 9 May 2001).
Capão Bonito do Sul was originally settled by Italian colonists. The Bolsonelo, Scopel and Wegler families were recorded as the first colonists around 1800.
The district of Capão Bonito was established on 5 February 1990. The municipality of Capão Bonito do Sul was established by State Law No. 10,742 promulgated on 18 April 1996, separating from Lagoe Vermelha, and inaugurated on 1 January 2001.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
The flag of Capão Bonito do Sul is prescribed by Municipal Law
No. 21 promulgated on 9 May 2001.
The flag of the municipality of Capão Bonito do Sul shall have for colors green, white and red and be composed of three panels, inspired by the format and the colors of the flags of Rio Grande do Sul, Italy and Portugal, representing;
a) Green (vert), the symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee, abundance and hope; green also represents the mountains and the greening fields promising profuse harvests.
b) White, the symbol of peace, friendship, integration, work and community harmony.
c) Red (gules), the symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance.
The flag shall obey the following rules.
I. The flag is composed of three panels: green, white and red in usual shades.
II. The flag's width shall be of 14 units.
III. The flag's length shall be of 20 units.
IV. The coat of arms shall be of 7 units in width, leaving 3 units in the upper part and 3 units in the lower part. Its ratio is 3.5 units.
V. The flag shall have two vertical parts: a green part measuring 10 units in length and 14 units in width, placed along the hoist, and a red part on the right, of the same dimensions, the two parts forming two halves.
VI. The flag shall be charged in the center with a white circle featuring the municipal coat of arms.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Capão Bonito do Sul is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 22 promulgated on 9 May 2001.
Classical Latin shield surmounted by a mural crown or with six towers, four visible. In base (bottom) a field vert (green) symbolizing fields and agriculture. On this field, the symbol of food industry representing all the agricultural industries in the municipalities. Dexter, on a blue field, Mercury's winged helmet symbolizing commerce. Sinister, a bovine cattle on a blue field, representing a milk cow. In chief's center a red field with a stylized river and a "capãon" [isolated group of big trees] representing the municipality's origin. As supporters of the shield, plants proper, dexter (soybean) and sinister (maize). Beneath the shield a scroll gules (red) containing in white the toponym 'CAPÃO BONITO DO SUL" and years '1889' and '1996' ".
The coat of arms described above has the following symbolic interpretation:
a) The Latin classic shield, adopted to represent the arms of Capão Bonito do Sul, originates from Italy and was introduced all over Europe during the Roman wars, being subsequently adopted by other nations, especially to represent coat of arms of domains, and eventually by Brazilian heraldry to evoke one of the colonizing races and builder of the nation.
b) The crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of coat of arms of domains; golden (or) with six towers, four visible in perspective, it classifies the town as of third rank or municipal seat. Or is a symbol of royalty, celebrity, splendor, greatness, command, force, wealth and sovereignty.
c) White is a symbol of peace, friendship, integration, work and community harmony.
d) The green (vert) base supports the fields that form the municipality's geography. Green represents in the center the symbol of food industry, a cogwheel and a plow, as well as ecology and natural environment. Green also represents the manpower of the farmers and colonists of the municipality.
e) Green (vert) is the symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee, abundance and hope; green also represents the mountains and the greening fields promising profuse harvests.
f) In chief, on the center of a red field, a green and beautiful ["bonito"] "capão" symbolizes the origin of the municipality's name, surrounded by a stylized river representing the municipality's geography.
g) The field azure (blue) is a symbol of loyalty, royalty, sky and community harmony in search of humanitarian objectives. In the right is a white winged helmet, the symbol of an important source of income, commerce, and also an icon of regional and state activity. In the left is featured a bovine cattle, representing milk cows and the other colonial productions.
h) The outer ornaments proper represent two main products of the generous and fertile soil, maize, the symbol of colonization, and soybean, one of the most distinguished sectors of production in the region.
i) On a red (gules) scroll in white letters the identifying toponym "CAPÃO BONITO DO SUL" surrounded by years "1889", beginning of colonization, and "1996", the year of political emancipation.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020