Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | arvorezinha |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
30 December 2011
Source: at http://www.arvorezinhars.com.br/site/municipio.php#simbolos
A red-yellow-red triband with the municipal arms in the centre on a white disk.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 30 December 2011
The municipality of Arvorezinha (10,547 inhabitants in 2005, 95% of them of
Italian origin; 271.7 sq. km) is located 210 km of Porto Alegre.
Arvorezinha was founded around 1900 as Alto de Figueira (Figueira's Heights), named for its founder, Lino Figueira. The place was subsequently renamed Alta Figueira, Figueira Alta and Figueira, until a Decree of the State Governor imposed the name of Arvorezinha. On 30 November 1958, the inhabitants of Arvorezinha required in a plebiscite the municipal emancipation from Encantado and Soledade, which was granted on 16 February 1959 by State Decree No. 3,717. The new municipality was inaugurated on 6 June 1959, following municipal election held on 25 May 1959. The district of Nova Alvorada was created on 12 May 1988. The district of Maurício Cardoso formed on 20 March 1992 the new municipality of Itapuca, removing more than 50% of Arvorezinha municipal territory.
The symbols of Arvorezinha are prescribed by Law No. 461, adopted in 1979.
The flag is horizontally divided red-yellow-red with the municipal coat of arms on a white disk placed in the flag's center. Red represents the inhabitants' tenacity and working potential. Yellow represents the agricultural and husbandry resources, the products of the inhabitants' works and of the soil fecundity. The white disk represents the message of faith and peace conveyed by the inhabitants.
The coat of arms is of Portuguese shape, horizontally divided into three parts. The chief is vertically divided in three parts; in the middle two orange hands with white fists shaking each other on a green background, symbolizing the inhabitants' unity; sinister, a pink pig's head on a yellow background; dexter, a white cow's head n a yellow background, the two symbolizing cattle-breeding. The central field represents the hilly topography of the region, with red hills under a blue sky with a yellow rising sun ensigned by a red cross, expressing the inhabitants' religious feelings. The base is green with two yerba mate trees representing the original main source of income for the municipality. The shield is flanked by a wheat ear (dexter) and a maize cob (sinister), the two dominant crops in the municipality, tied by a red scroll placed below the shield and charged with the black writing "18-2 - ARVOREZINHA - 1959", showing the date of municipal emancipation of the place. The shield is surmounted by a white four-towered mural crown.
The flag image is also shown on andregoth's data at http://cid-57cc02038c003794.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents. This rendition of the flag, probably based on the written description only, is erroneous. Several photos available on the municipal website show that the flag has unequal stripes, with the red stripes very narrow.
Ivan Sache, 7 January 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.