Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | três coroas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
The municipality of Três Coroas (25,535 inhabitants in 2013; 18,554 ha) is
located 100 km north-east of Porto Alegre.
Três Coroas was settled in the middle of the 19th century by German immigrants. Originally known as Linha dos Últimos Alemães, Vale / Colônia de Santa Maria de Cima, and Santa Maria do Mundo Novo, the place was elevated in 1904 to the 4th district of Taquari, as Novo Mundo. The Municipality of Três Coroas (Three Crowns) was established on 12 May 1959, its name referring to the three crowns of a big Brazilian pine located there.
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
The flag is a horizontal tricolor of blue, white and red, with the municipal
arms centered on the white stripe.
Valentin Poposki, 15 February 2006
The flag of Três Coroas is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 214 promulgated on
20 January 1973. The Law does not describe the flag.
The coat of arms of Três Coroas is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 160 promulgated on 30 June 1970.
A shield divided into two fields. In chief sinister (upper left part) a field gules (red) symbolizing courage, action and intrepidity, our ancestors' qualities and virtues. In canton argent a cogwheel superimposed to a factory with a chimney, symbolizing industry. The shield tierced per bend sinister of the national colors. The other field dexter (right) azure (blue), symbolizing royalty, loyalty, the sky and the rivers' water, all over a winged hat symbolizing commerce.
In base a field vert (green) symbolizing faith and hope, honor, exuberant nature and forests that once covered the mountains that surround the region. On this field the silhouette of the mountains as seen from the plain, left Quilombo Valley, surmounted by majestic Mount Chapadão.
Superimposed to the field, a Brazilian pine with two lateral trunks, forming three crowns ("três coroas"), the place and municipality's namesake.
The shield surmounted by a scroll or (gold) symbolizing nobleness and wealth, charged in the center with the word "Mundo Novo" [New World], the place's first name.
Beneath the shield a scroll azure (blue) inscribed in the center sable (black), symbolizing honesty and prudence, "Três Coroas", the place's current name. Sinister (left) the dates "10 de Novembro de 1904", the day of creation of the district, and "12 de Maio de 1959", the day of creation of the municipality.
The coat of arms shall be represented with proportions 3 on 4, length on width.
Leis Municipais database