Last modified: 2012-03-28 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio de janeiro | resende |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 14 March 2012
A white flag, with an upright cross in green and blue; in the center the municipal coat of arms.
The municipality of Resende (119,801 inhabitants in 2010; 1,114 sq. km) is located in southern Rio de Janeiro State, on the border with Saõ Paulo and Minas Gerais, 150 km of Rio de Janeiro. Th municipality is made of the town of Resende proper and of the districts of Agulhas Negras, Visconde de Mauá, Pedra Selada, Fumaça and Engenheiro Passos. Resende originates in a camp settled in 1744 by Simão da Cunha Gago on a hill dominating river Paraíba, on the site of the present day's Montese borough. Later on, the settlement was relocated on the other bank of the river to prevent the natives' raids and renamed Nossa Senhora da Conceição do Campo Alegre da Paraíba Nova. Established a parish in 1756, the place was made the "vila" of Resende on 29 September 1801. The place was renamed as a tribute to Count of Resende, at the time Vice-Roy of Brazil. A first wooden bridge built over the Paraíba in 1821 was suppressed by a flood in 1833; the Nilo Peçanha iron bridge, "imported" from Belgium in 1913, nicknamed the Old Bridge, is still there. Following the coffee boom, Resende was established a "cidade" on 13 July 1848, counting then 19,000 inhabitants (including 9,000 slaves). After the decline of coffee cultivation in the 1870s, the municipality turned into the State's dairy farm (1/3 of the State milk production; Resende was the 2nd butter and cheese producer in the State). Later on, Resende became an industrial town, big factories being built there by national (INB, Votorantim, Electrobras Furnas) and international (MAN, Clariant, Pernod-Ricard, Novartis, Nissan) groups.
The flag of Resende is prescribed by Resolution No. 862 of 25 July 1967.
The flag is of size 14 units x 20 units. The width of the stripes
forming the cross is 1 unit. The coat of arms is framed in an
imaginary rectangle of 7 units x 6 units. The flag is surrounded with
a golden yellow fringe.
The green and blue cross symbolizes faith and the hope in a glorious
future. The blue stripes are located in the matching quarters of the
flag of the Rio de Janeiro State. White recalls the background of the
first Brazilian flag, representing peace and hospitality of its
inhabitants. The golden fringe is a symbol of the Brazilian spirit
promoted by the inhabitants.
The image shown on the
municipal website does not match the written description, as far as the
placement of the stripes forming the cross is concerned. The flag in
use, as partially shown on photo published in a local blog, does match
the written description.
The coat of arms of Resende is prescribed by Resolution No. 252 of 29 September 1955. The Portuguese shield depicts on a blue background mountains proper ensigned with a golden crown set with green, red and blue gems, standing on a green terrace with a white fess wavy and a purple tower. The shield is surmounted by a mural crown and surrounded dexter by a sugar cane plant and sinister by a branch of coffee fructed proper. Below the shield is a scroll inscribed in black letters "29.9.1801 RESENDE 13.7.1848". Blue represents the always lipid sky and the mild climate of the municipality. The mountain represents the Black Needles range. Green symbolizes the fields' fertility, the base of the local economy; the fess wavy argent represents the famous river Paraíba, which waters the municipality. The purple castle symbolize the Black Needles Military Academy. Sugar cane and coffee are the main crops in the municipality. The mural crown is a symbol of political independence. The scroll is charged with the dates of establishment of the "vila" and "cidade" of Resende, respectively.
Ivan Sache, 15 March 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.