Last modified: 2012-03-28 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio de janeiro | itatiaia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Dirk Schönberger,
18 October 2011
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 18 October 2011
The municipality of Itatiaia (28,852 inhabitants in 2010: 225 sq. km) is located in southern Rio de Janeiro State, on the border with Minas Gerais, 175 km of Rio de Janeiro. Itatiaia was officially established in 5 April 1839 as Campo Belo, although the place had been settled at least seven years earlier. The "vila" of Campo Belo was established by Federal Law No. 311 of 2 March 1938. Decree Law No. 1,056 of 31 December 1973 renamed Campo Belo, then a district of Resende, Itatiaia, for Tupi-Gurani words meaning "pointed stones". The Itatiaia National Park was established on 14 June 1937 by President of the Republic República Getúlio Vargas, being therefore the oldest conservation area officially set up in Brazil. The park culminates at the Black Needles' Peak (2,971 m), the highest point in the Rio de Janeiro State and the 8th highest point in Brazil.
The symbols of Itatiaia are prescribed by Law No. 8 of 14 September 1989.
The flag is in size 14 units x 20 units (proportions 7:10), green with a diagonal white stripe of 3 units in heights, fimbriated by yellow and blue stripes of 0.5 unit in height each. The municipal coat of arms is placed in the middle of the flag, overlapping the green parts of the flag. Green represents the forest, part of the first ecological reserve ever established by the Federal Government. The white stripe symbolizes the pacific spirit and hospitality of the inhabitants of Itaiaia, who are always prepared to welcome the visitors and tourists attracted by peace. The yellow and blue stripes represent the richness and beauty of the sky reflected in the crystalline waters of the Blue Lake. The green, yellow, blue and white colors reproduce the colors of the national flag.
The coat of arms is framed in an imaginary rectangle of 12 units v 10
The upper part of the shield depicts a harpy eagle, found in the
Itatiaia Massif, represented the same way as the eagle on the coat of
arms of the Rio de Janeiro State. The bird symbolizes the cleverness
and subtlety of the inhabitants. The harpy eagle stands on the Itaiaia
Massif, crowned by pointed stones, the namesake of the municipality.
Green represents the first ecological reserve ever established by the
The lower part of the shield shows a chimney, a gear wheel, a
commercial building and thunderbolts representing factories, industry,
commerce and electric energy, respectively.
The shield is surmounted by a mural crown, standing for a municipality.
The shield is surrounded by branches of "ipê" (Tabebuia sp.), the
national tree commonly found in the Itaiaia ecological reserve.
Below the shield is placed a white scroll with the name of the
municipality and the date of its inauguration ("1er JUNHO 1989" - "1
June 1989) written in green letters, like the motto "Ordem e
Progresso" on the national coat of arms.
http://www.itatiaia.rj.gov.br/index.php?p=conteudo&id=120 (new source)
The new symbols' page of the municipal website shows a big photo of the flag.
Ivan Sache, March 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.