Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | ventania |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Ventania (11,093 inhabitants in 2015; 75,937 ha) is
located 200 km north-west of Curitiba.
Ventania (Wind) is named for a typhoon that destroyed in 1870 Fazenda Fortaleza, one of the region's oldest domain. The farmers soon burned down the fallen trees and established maize, beans and rice fields instead. Accordingly, the place was known as Invernada da Ventiana (Wind Wintering). The domain was acquired in 1892 by Francisco Pinheiro das Chagas from the heirs of Manoel Inácio do Canto e Silva, and renamed to Francisco das Chagas Ventania.
The town of Ventania showed up on maps after the inauguration of the Ventania railway station, located on the line connecting Joaquim Murtinho to Monte Alegre, seat of the Klabin paper factory.
The district of Ventania was established by State Law No. 790 promulgated on 14 November 1951, to be elevated a municipality by State Law No. 9,244 promulgated on 14 May 1990, separating from Tibagi. The new municipality was inaugurated on 1 January 1993.
The flag of Ventania is white with a blue stripe at the top and a green stripe at the bottom, a yellow star in the blue stripe, the municipal coat of arms in the white part and a yellow triangle placed along the hoist.
Ivan Sache, 9 February 2022