Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | terra rica |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Diagonally divided per bend sinister purple-deep yellow-green, with the municipal arms centred.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 2 October 2011
The municipality of Terra Rica (15,256 inhabitants in 2010; 701 sq. km) is
located in northwestern Paraná, on the border with the São Paulo State, 550 km
of Curitiba. Terra Rica ("Rich Soil") was colonized in 1949 by the Belo and
Leite families, on plots allocated by the "Sociedade Imobiliária do Noroeste do
Paraná" (SINOP), held by Enio Pepino and João Pedro Moreira de Carvalho. The
district of Estrela do Norte ("Northern Star") was established in 1950 as part
of the municipality of Mandaguari. State Law No. 13, adopted in August 1950,
established the municipality of Paranavaí, to which Estrela do Norte was
transferred as a district. The municipality of Terra Rica was established by
State Law No. 253 of 26 November 1954, published on 2 December 1954 in the State
official gazette, No. 217, and inaugurated on 4 December 1955.
The "ambassador" of Terra Rica is the singer José Alves dos Santos (b. 1946), mostly known as José Rico. José emigrated in 1948 from Pernambuco to Terra Rica with his parents. He first worked as a lumberjack and as a barber; he met in 1970 in São Paulo Romeu Januário de Matos (b. 1940), forming with him the popular "sertanejo" duo "Milionário & José Rico" (1970-1991; 1994-). The writer Edson Cristaldi claims that the singer took the name of Rico as a tribute to Terra Rica, upon the advice of Father Eduardo (1918-1970), the parish priest.
The flag of Terra Rica was designed by the heraldist Reinaldo Valascki. The coat of arms placed in the middle of the flag represents the seat of the municipality. The triangles are heraldic symbols of liberty, equality and fraternity. The blue triangle represent the rural estates present in the municipal territory. Blue is a symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, recreation and beauty, and of the climate of the municipality, as well. Green is the "heraldic hieroglyph" of civility, joy and abundance, and a symbol of hope, as well.
Ivan Sache, 26 February 2012
Anything below the following line isnt part of the Flags of the World Website and was added by the hoster of this mirror.