Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | salgado filho |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Salgado Filho (4,403 inhabitants in 2010; 18,308 ha) is
located 525 km south-west of Curitiba.
The town's namesake, Joaquim Pedro Salgado Filho (1888-1950) was Minister of Work, Industry and Commerce (1932-1934) and Brazil's first Minister of Air (1941-1945). He is credited the establishment of the National Air Mail and the Air School, which resulted in the separation of the Air Force from the Brazilian Armed Forces.
The flag of Salgado Filho, designed by heraldist and vexillologist Reynaldo Valascki, is diagonally divided by a white stripe in two right-angled triangles, one at the top in blue the other at the bottom in green color. In the center of the white (silver) stripe is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms in the center of the flag represents the municipal government, the center of the triangle where the municipal coat of arms is placed represents the town as the seat of the municipality. The right-angled triangles are heraldic symbols of liberty, equality and fraternity, according to the French precepts that served as an emblem to the Inconfidentes Mineiros.
The upper, blue triangle symbolizes peace, friendship, justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, recreation and beauty, also representing rural priorities existing in the municipal territory. The green color symbolizes hope and joy, especially the vast agricultural extension of the rich municipal territory. The white color symbolizes peace, work, prosperity, purity and religious spirit.
The divisions and subdivisions of the flag in thirds and with the coat of arms in the center represent the irradiation of the municipal power that expands to all parts of the municipal territory.
Website of the Municipal Chamber
The coat of arms of Salgado Filho, designed by heraldist and vexillologist Reynaldo Valascki and originally prescribed by Municipal Law No. 8 promulgated on 12 June 1984, was altered by Municipal Law No. 5 promulgated in 2003, as follows.
The Iberian Flemish shield used to represent the arms of Salgado Filho is of French origin, introduced in the Iberian Peninsula during the fights against the Moors, where it started to appear in Portuguese armorials, notably in domains' heraldry, being this style inherited in Brazilian heraldry as evocative of the colonizing race and the main builder of the nation.
The mural crown that surmounts the shield is the universal symbol of domains, The red openings, due to the heraldic meaning of this color, are consistent with the attributes of the pioneers and community leaders. The celestial blue color represents the two rivers within the urban perimeter; the brown stripe symbolizes the land of the territory and its fertility.
On top center of the shield, a yellow fleur-de-lis is the symbol of St. Francis of Assisi, the municipality's patron saint.
The first quarter of the shield represents education and culture in the municipality by a table with the map of Brazil, a terrestrial globe, a book, an inkpot and a quill. The left side of the lower part of shield features a great source of the income for the municipality, wine and cheese production, represented by grapes and cheese. The right quarter of the shield symbolizes agriculture that is one of the main sources of income for the municipality. The right side of the lower part of the shield features another source of income for the municipality, mountains and rich livestock. In the upper part, the yellow mural is the symbol of glory, splendor, greatness, wealth and sovereignty; black symbolizes prudence, moderation, austerity and firmness.
The shield is supported by maize plants, leaves and bunches of grapes fructed proper, which emphasize the main crops supplied by the generous and fertile lands, which are the mainstay of the municipal income.
The red color of the scroll symbolizes dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage and bravery. In the center of the scroll is written the name of the municipality, "Salgado Filho", surrounded by years "1963" and "1984".
Image from the municipal website
Ivan Sache, 10 February 2022