Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | ribeirão do pinhal |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Ribeirão do Pinhal (13,557 inhabitants in 2017; 37,473 ha)
is located 400 km north-west of Curitiba.
Ribeirão do Pinhal was established in 1924 as Espírito Santo do Pinhal. The district of Pinhal was established on 20 October 1936, separating from the district of Jundiaí, part of the municipality of Santo Antônio da Platina. The district was subsequently renamed to Laranjinha, as a reference to river Laranjinha.
The municipality of Ribeirão do Pinhal was established by State Law No. 2 promulgated on 10 October 1947. The original name was dropped since river Laranjinha was suspected to spread malaria.
In the 1970s, population of the town increased to 25,000 thanks to coffee cultivation; the Black Frost episode of 18 July 1975 ended the first Gilded Age of the town and resulted in the exile of several inhabitants. The re-establishment of coffee grooves by José Ferroni, South American's main coffee grower, yielded from 1997 to 2000 the title of Paraná's Capital of Coffee, with some 22 millions trees grown. Ferroni's death ended the second Gilded Age of the town.
The flag and arms of Ribeirão do Pinhal are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 355 promulgated on 27 October 1967.
The flag of Ribeirão do Pinhal consists of a rectangle with royal blue corners and the municipal coat of arms in the center on a white background.
The coat of arms of Ribeirão do Pinhal contains the following elements.
A river, representing the river that gave the town its first name, river Laranjinha.
Pines, representing the forests existing in the region where the town is located.
Coffee trees in a row, representing the existing coffee plantations in the municipality, emphasizing the greatest source of income at the time.
The sun, representing the blaze of progress.
A maize stalk on the right side, representing the second source of income.
A rice panicle on the left side, representing the third source of income.
On top of the shield, towers form a crown, as an emblem of the victories achieved by the municipality, also representing the strong foundation of greatness.
At the bottom, a white band representing peace, inscribed "RIBEIRÃO DO PINHAL".
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022