Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | ortigueira |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Ortigueira (22,141 inhabitants in 2019; 242,956 ha) is
located 220 km north-west of Curitiba. The municipality is composed of the
districts of Ortigueira (seat), Lajeado Bonito, Natingui, Monjolinho, Barreiro,
and Bairro dos França.
Ortigueira was first settled in 1900 by a caravan led by Adolfo Alves de Souza, Domiciano Cordeiro dos Santos and Marcílio Rodrigues de Almeida, coming from the district of Socavão, part of the municipality of Castro. They established a small settlement on the Monloinho hill, then part of the municipality of Tibagi. The colonists cleared and burned a bamboo area, calling the place Queimadas. The soil's fertility attracted more colonists led by Rocha Pinto, Manoel Teixeira Guimarães, Salvador Donato and Francisco Barbosa de Macedo.
The district of Queimadas was established by State Law No. 2,030 promulgated on 13 March 1921, to be renamed to Ortigueira in 1943. The new name alludes to urticant plants common in the region, known as "urtigas" (wattles). The municipality of Ortigueira was established in 1951.
The flag of Ortigueira is horizontally divided green-white-yellow (1:3:1), charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms and the word "ORTIGUEIRA" beneath it, in black letters.
Ivan Sache, 6 February 2022